Chapter 1 - Electrifying (Part - 1)

What would you do, if your whole life was changed in a flash? If there was poison in the world, would you contribute to it, or would you become an antidote? If the fate of the world rested on your shoulders, would you just give up and go home, or would you stand and fight? And, lastly, if you saw the world as it truly is, what would you do?

People look at life differently. Some see the horrors, and some see the gifts that it brings. People who experience the horrors change. They become someone new, whether they become bad or good, they are new. People who get the gifts that life brings, sometimes use these gifts for their own gain -- this kind of people are usually the most condescending people on the face of the earth. But there are some who use their gifts to help others.

There is another set of people who experience both the horrors and gifts of life. I am one of those people.

My name is Ranald ( not to be confused with "Ronald" ), but my friends call me Ranny. My story begins on a windy, lonely Friday night, it may have seemed spooky to some, but thank goodness I wasn't alone. I was with my three closest friends. We were on our way home from the movies. We took a shortcut through an abandoned shopping centre.

The empty buildings added to the eerie atmosphere. It seemed like concrete monsters were all over, watching our every move, calculating where they would strike us. I don't know if we would be able to defend ourselves from any mysterious creatures lurking in the shadows, waiting to pounce on their preys.

We walked silently, hoping to reach the end of the complex before our short lives come to an end.

The end of the shopping centre was well in sight, when we heard a loud sound. It was thunder. We looked in the deep black sky and saw a flash of lightning race across as if it was late for school.

"Rain's coming..." said the youngest person in the group, Donald.

"No kidding, Sherlock!" said, Rudolph, usually the jester in the group.

Even though Rudolph was being sarcastic, he was actually not far off about Donald. Donald is what most would call, a "nerd". Super smart for his age, with a touch of social awkwardness. He's so smart that, he has a drawer full of designs of devices he invented. His only wish is to get all the resources needed to make his inventions. I don't know what kind of fourteen year old thinks about such things.

"Shut up!" Donald retorted at Rudolph.

"Guys please," said the only girl present, Lilian. "...not now."

Lilian is the peacemaker of the group. She's like Switzerland; she has never taken a side. When an argument begins to brew, like now, she would quickly try to stop it.

Not only is Lilian the peacemaker, but she's also my crush. I have always had a thing for her. Okay, maybe not always... but it has been for quite some time.

A flash of lightning lit up the sky, it was so bright that it seemed like day for a split second. Lilian looked scared. "Guys..." she said, fear eminent in her voice. "...let's move faster."

"Yeah...we should." I said, with authority in my voice.

Oh yeah... they also happen to look to me as their leader. I don't know how it happened or why they chose me, but every time they suggest something, they pass it through me. I don't know what they see in me to make me a leader. Sometimes I wonder if I subconsciously force it on them.

We increased our speed and suddenly another flash of lightning was seen and a branch from a nearby tree fell. We looked at each other with terror covering our faces. Immediately, we bolted to the end of the complex.