Chapter 29 || Aaron

"You sure about this?" I asked Xavier as he typed away on his computer. "We don't exactly have a lot of people, what if they declare war?" As much as I hate letting Chiaramonte go, I'm not so sure about this. Consulting it with father would be the best choice so doing something this big behind his back made me uneasy.

"We have to track them somehow. Besides, Boss would agree to it anyways, I'm like a son to him you know?"

"I'm not so sure about that," I followed, recalling the time when Xavier brushed a leaf off my head six years ago and father almost beating him up into a pulp. But I mean, I'll let the kid dream.

I peered over his shoulder at the screen. Even though I couldn't understand a thing her was doing, I knew he was on to something as his expression brightened. "Almost there," he whispered.

I watched in anticipation as he typed away. The minutes that had past felt long. I know that he's trying to help, but this gave me an uncomfortable feeling.

It wasn't long after I thought that when he sprang up. "I think this might be something!" He ushered me towards him then pushed on some texts and we both waited silently for it to process.

It was then when all of Xavier's screens turned on and flashed a bright white light on its screen. A skull appeared on the middle screen then made a bunch of beeping noises.

"What the hell?" I glared at Xavier who looked equally as concerned as me. "Did the thought of them detecting you while you were hacking away occur to you?"

"I could literally say the same to you," he muttered, rummaging around his desk for paper and a pen.

"What are you doing?" I asked him as she frantically scribbled letters.

"It's Morse code, stupid," he empathized the word "stupid".

"You're starting to sound like David and I'll be liking you less if you keep that up."

"Hand over the girl and you'll be spared," Xavier read the letters in confusion and I had a pretty bad feeling about who they're referring to since there's no other girls here.

I sighed. After the whole big stunt Aaron pulled, I can't even find that original anymore.

I wonder what he's been doing these days without David.

"But why the hell would they want you?" He looked at me with genuine confusion and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"You remember Aaron King?" I asked him and he nodded. "His motivate wasn't to hurt me but if needed, he wouldn't hesitate. His main goal was to bring down my father." I remembered the days when I couldn't leave his house but also his unexpected kindness, although it's painful to admit. "Now someone else wants to do the same thing. You understand why now, right?"

Xavier nodded, looking at me with concern. "It's always you. I won't let you be taken away again."

Xavier has always been kind to me one way or another. I'm sort of glad he's by friend. Unlike that other idiot, cute boy.

"Chiaramonte is dangerous. Way more than the East and West combine. If I were to go to them, I have a feeling that I wouldn't be getting the same treatment as Aaron and David. What should we do then so I wouldn't be sent to my death? "

Xavier rolled his neck in fatigue then plopped back on his chair. "That Aaron guy, he hasn't made any moves yet, even though he sent his brother as a spy, could that mean he's laying off?"

I shook my head. "Knowing him, he doesn't give up. I know he wants to put this war to an end and would wait however long to be able to," I explained to him, remembering what his face really looked like when he was furious. "Letting David roam around is dangerous too if say he found something that would end us. Despite that, he's skilled and that's why we're using him when great precautions."

"Well why haven't any of us dimwits decided to do to him what he did to you?"

I cocked my head in confusion, "what?"

"A hostage. With Aaron under our power, can you imagine how powerful we would be? Plus, the man's like filthy rich!"

I shot a look at Xavier. "Do that and I will kill you."

"It's only fair!"

David's usual annoyed face flashed him my mind and the thought of him being treated the same way I was made me want to punch a wall even though it would even us out.

"You're forgetting that David also has power with the West gang," I said. "What if we could use that to our advantage? Put an end to Chiaramonte with the help of a powerful group?"

"Yeah, you're stupid," he said again with a bored expression then spun his chair so what I was facing his back. Oh how I want to kick that back.

"We have small numbers and we're lacking in many areas. That's something we all have to know," I told him, struggling to keep myself from punching his back. "Think about his rationally."

"Emma, nothing you said was rational," he deadpanned.

I rolled my eyes for the tenth time this hour. "It's been hundreds of years already and now we're just fighting for no reason. Don't you think it's time to do something about that?"

"I'm not listening."

As much as he made me angry, his constant refusal only made me more determined.

"We'll hold a meeting this Friday. It's time to build a more powerful future with an ally of the east and west gang that can't be messed with. I'll call it tomorrow."

Xavier turned back to me obviously mad. "I know what you're trying to do but you can't just end years of hatred, Emma," he told me in a serious voice. "It doesn't work like that,"

"If nothing's done, we'll actually be pumbled," I shot back.

I know what I'm saying I'm totally stupid and unlike me, but just imagining that unreal force was enough to send shivers up my skin, in a good way.

There must be a way, I know it. Even if there's still a long path before it happens, someone needs to take the first step.

And that would be me.