27) Chronicle III

Chapter 27 --- Land of the Dead

Chronicle III

"Miss Vendez, please take a look at this for a second."

Rosemary stalked over to her student; a brown-haired, blue-eyed girl who was examining a thick, blue paste.

"I have found that this paste contains traces of Triclosan."

"Well done." Rose said drowsily, ignoring her student who kept rambling on about Triclosan. As if she didn't know much about it already.

"Now, now, Lina, it's time for you to help me with my project."

Rose was eyeing her latest project, an experiment that was designed to see whether or not the DNA of a human could mix with the DNA of chloroplasts and animals. She herself wasn't too sure whether or not somebody had attempted it before, and she wasn't one to search it up or ask.

She readjusted her glasses as she stepped over to her experiment. "We already know that if human DNA mixes with animal DNA it can lead to death and/or disease, unless outside of the human body. But what if we add DNA from Chloroplasts? Chloroplast, the food producers found in plant cells, have their own unique DNA."

Rose narrowed her eyes at her student, who seemed to wince. She switched her eyesight to the experiment in front of her, and began examining the DNA structure from a computer. The only sounds that could be heard in the room were the clicking of the mouse Rose was using and a monitor in the background.

"M-Ms.Vendez...by 'help' what do you exactly mean? What do I have to do?"

Rose began shuffling some stuff around on the desk. She turned her gaze towards Lina, pulling on some gloves. She flexed her slender fingers as she picked up a needle.

"Now, now, Lina. It will be fine. Let's just say you're the test subject."

"Y-You're...insane. This is illegal, isn't it?"

"The chloroplast should eliminate all animal DNA." Rose lied as she walked towards Lina, who sat on the edge of her stool, whimpering.

"Do not worry, it shall all be over soon."

"Is that true?" Lina asked, her voice cracking midway through. Fear spilt through her voice like a milk carton being knocked over.

"Of course, why would I lie to one of my dear students? Science is also about being honest, you know," Rose paused, deep in thought. "Well, at least I think so myself."

She injected the fluids into Lina's body so suddenly that she screamed and yanked back, howling in pain. The syringe dropped to the floor, spilling the rest of the substance which surprisingly had a milky-like texture to it.

Lina's eyes bulged as she enveloped the image within her mind, her voice drowsy and thick instead of being tainted with fear like it had been a few moments ago.

"Yyyoouuuu..." She slurred, pointing a quivering finger at the syringe. "Liar."

"I am not a liar, Lina. You should know that."

"IIIII knoowwwww what substanc-e."

She hiccuped before slumping forward onto the floor. Rose inspected her.

"You know what substance? Silly thing, you don't know anything." And with that, Rose left the room, locking it behind her.

~*~

"Excuse me, excuse me M-Miss!"

"What is it?"

"This g-girl! She was found in Laboratory D13! After doing some extensive research, I found out her name's Lina."