3) Shopping Spree

Land of the Dead
Chapter 3 --- Shopping Spree

"Flynn, we're running low on meds. Not just that, but also food and other critical resources. We only have eight bottles of water left." Ivy spoke in a worried tone. "I'll go-"

"If you go out there you can't go alone. And besides, I don't want you going out there anyway, it's too dangerous."

"Every second we spend on earth is dangerous. Everything we do is dangerous. You can't always protect me from danger."

"I know that." Silence hung over the two for a little while, before Ivy grabbed Flynn's hand and led him from the kitchen into the lounge room, where Alice had moved to. She sat on the sofa, her topaz-brown eyes glaring up at Ivy and Flynn. Soon enough Jett and Slate filed into the room, after spending quite a while pulling arrows out of zombies heads. They set the arrows down on the coffee table in front of Alice.

"We're running low on resources. Slate, would it be fine if you ventured out to pick up as much as you can? Ivy is going to tag along as well...." Flynn whispered the last part.

"Sure thing. What exactly do we need?"

"The usual. Medication, food, clean water. New clothing for these two." Flynn gestured at Alice and Jett.

"I'll make sure to bring back some clothes 'in fashion' right now." Slate said with a smirk.

Alice leaned back on the couch, crossing her arms. She growled and spat out, "How about I take Ivy's place instead?"

"No way! You'll try to escape and get as far away from here as possible!" Jett half-shouted.

"I'll keep an eye on her." Slate gave Ivy a nod. "I think that you should stay behind, anyway. After all, none of us can cook like you. Well, I'm not sure about those two..."

Ivy growled. "Why do I always have to stay behind?"

"It's too dangerous. And besides, what Slate said is true. You're best suited to the kitchen because the dishes you serve taste like heaven." Flynn glanced over at Ivy. She mumbled something and stormed off into the kitchen.

"Okay, go prepare the equipment you need and take the Subaru out. I'll talk to her, don't worry." Flynn vanished from the room in a flash.

"Hey, w-wait! Alice!" Jett stammered as Alice hastily followed Slate into another room. Jett was left by himself, standing in the middle of the room. He sighed and walked over to the window. The sky was overcast, not a ray of sunlight peeking out from the charcoal-grey clouds. The sun that had appeared earlier was now enveloped in complete darkness and the heat was starting to simmer down. The wind was starting to pick up as well, rustling the leaves of trees and making the dry grass sway.

"It's going to rain later." He muttered to himself.

~*~

Ten minutes later, Alice and Slate carried the equipment they needed over to the car. They packed it in the back and jumped in, Slate planting himself in the driver's seat.

"Don't die! Do you hear me?" Jett shouted from the front porch. Slate nodded, and started the car as Alice propped her feet up onto the dashboard. They took off across the field, following the dirt path out onto the broken road.

They went straight for a little while before turning left. The streets were surprisingly empty, not a single flesh-eater in sight. A series of long, overgrown and thick bushes became a blur of greens and browns.

"I only just met you and now we're going on a trip to the closest supermarket."

"How close is it?" Alice asked gruffly, flicking back her hair. It took a little while for Slate to reply.