13) Repeat or Fast-Forward

Chapter 13 --- Land of the Dead

Repeat or Fast-Forward

Silence hung in the air for a while as the car drove unsteadily across the road. Alice wasn't exactly the best driver. Numerous times Jett tried to persuade her to swap to the passengers seat, but she refused.

"Where are we going?" Lani asked, kicking the drivers seat in front of her. "Somewhere magical." Alice murmured. She placed the palm of her right hand on top of the steering wheel and steered it to the left.

"Alice, watch out." Jett said calmly.

"Watch out for what?" Suddenly something crunched underneath the car and Alice lost control of the steering wheel. The car jeered to the left and went off the road. Luckily, Alice slammed on the brakes just in time before the car hit a tree.

"That tends to happen a lot, doesn't it?" Slate said. Lani and Lily were almost in tears- again.

"Yes, it does...." Alice whispered.

Jett cursed under his breath. "You just hit a person!"

"What? Don't you mean a zombie?"

"No! An actual person!"

"Wha..." Alice looked behind her shoulder and frowned.

Somebody suddenly pressed themselves against the car window, making the twins and Alice scream in fright. Slate himself raised his hands above his head, but quickly realized they couldn't attack him anyway.

"I'm okay!" They shouted. Alice quickly pressed her foot down on the accelerator and the car sped off down the road again. The person started shouting after them.

"Hey, you're not just gonna leave that person behind, are you?" Jett asked.

"Yes, of course."

"Well done, Alice, you have certainly learnt from the best."

"You're the one who tried to kill us all, Flynn, so you should shut your mouth."

"I've shut my mouth for quite a while, thank you Jett, it's not like you ever shut-

"Would you all please be kind and just shut up for once? You're only making everything worse." Rose said as she tried her very best to calm down Lani, who was shaking terribly, warm tears running down her cheeks. Lily tried her best to calm her down too, but failed miraculously.

"Come on Lani, you can sit on my lap if you want." Rose patted her lap and Lani struggled to get out of her seat. Flynn unbuckled it for her.

"Did you ever work with children?" Slate asked.

Rose squinted her eyes at Slate as Flynn lifted Lani over into the backseat. Lani sat on Rose's lap and kept crying. She reached out for her sister.

"No, not really." She coughed out.

"Alice, where are we going?" Slate asked, trying to start another conversation instantaneously once Rose had answered his question.

Alice sighed loudly. "You'll soon find out!" She giggled like a twelve year old girl.

"You still haven't changed, have you?" Jett murmured, turning on the radio. All they could hear was static as he went through every channel.

"Nothing, nothing at all."

"What do you expect? We're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse."

"You'd think there'd be at least one channel, but nnn...." Jett paused abruptly. "I think I can hear something."