12) Roller Coaster Rush

Chapter 12 --- Land of the Dead

Roller Coaster Rush

"I don't like this. It's way too quiet. Something's up." Victoria looked around, a serious look plastered on her face.

"Yeah, I know." Jett said, sighing. He paused suddenly, watching the twins spin around before collapsing onto the ground. Their giggles could be heard from far away. He turned his attention to Victoria, who was completely immersed in the atmosphere.

"I wanna go on that ride! Can we go on that ride?"

"No, for the one hundred and fiftieth time, Lani. Maybe Ivy and Rose will come back with an ice-cream for you instead, so just wait."

"Really, Victoria, do you think they'll come back with ice-cream?" Victoria noticed a spark light up in her eyes.

"I'm sure they will." Victoria shrugged as Lani jumped for joy, and clapped her hands together.

"Will I get one too?" Lily asked.

"Yes, yes, of course you will."

"Keep it down." Jett said fiercely, his eyes darting around from each ride to another, all broken-down and mangled. But something else caught his eye; a black, mysterious figure disappearing behind an old, abandoned ride which was rusted, its paint peeling off. It was dotted with blood; making Jett suspect that someone had tried to fend off the zombies, yet failed miraculously.

"Get down onto the ground." Jett muttered.

"What? What is it?" Victoria asked as Jett rushed over to her.

"Hey, what's this?" Lani asked, preparing to poke a stick at an object that had rolled along the ground.

The second Victoria scanned the object, her facial expression changed dramatically and she screamed.

"THAT'S A HAND-GRENADE, DON'T TOUCH IT!" She grabbed the twins instantaneously and they ran as fast as their legs could take them, but they didn't cover much distance before the ground beneath them quaked and the grenade erupted behind them, sending them rolling along the scorching-hot ground, Jett along with them.

Victoria was the first to get back onto her feet. Her hair hung limply over her shoulders, and hatred shone in her hazel eyes, flecked with despair.

"Who...?" She gritted her teeth and creased her brow in concentration, until finally her eyes became soft and glassy, and her expression changed once again.

"What?"

• • •

"Which way?" Alice asked, gesturing with her AK-47 at two different routes they could take. Slate just shrugged.

"How about we go right?"

Alice nodded, and took the lead down the long hallway. To their surprise, the white marble floor was so shiny that they could see their reflection in it; and the whole hallway itself was free of any blood.

The instant Alice reached the door at the end of the corridor she cocked her head to the side. Slate sighed and lifted his hand. It met the cold, bare metal doorknob and slowly he twisted it clockwise until he heard a faint clicking sound. In a flash, he flung open the door and a young girl came rushing out in an instant, knocking Alice over in the process.

"Wha-

The girl cut herself off, confusion clearly etched upon her delicate face. Her brown hair was long and wavy, and her different coloured eyes glared down at Alice furiously. Without another word, she got back up onto her feet and ran the full length down the hallway.