10) Darkest Moments

Chapter 10 --- Land of the Dead

Darkest Moments

Jett pulled up outside of the medical centre, his fingers drumming rhythmically on the wheel. Ivy was still sobbing and Slate was still out cold. His head was no longer bleeding, which seemed like a good sign.

"Well," Jett said, leaning back in his seat. "Looks like they've all fallen."

The medical centre itself was crumbling away; most of the windows had been smashed and the front door had fallen off its hinges. Flesh-eaters hung around the area, searching for something to feast upon. There were no survivors in sight.

"Now what?" Alice asked impatiently. She propped her left leg up onto the seat in front of her and started kicking it.

"Alice, stop that." Jett said casually, his gaze still fixated on the ruins in front of him.

"We have one person here who has been knocked out cold, two little kids who are just as frightened as we are, a teenager with issues who will not stop crying like a little child," Alice glared evilly at Ivy, who hissed in return.

"And a girl who has just officially won the award for being the worlds greatest slut. Congrats, Alice." Slate murmured, coughing in between.

At this, Ivy chuckled. "Look who's just woken up. Feeling any better?"

Slate frowned. "Hell no. In fact, I feel as if my head is completely on fire."

"I wish it was." Alice whispered under her breath, turning her attention to out the window. The car roared to life again and they started reversing.

"Well, I'm afraid I have some bad news."

"What's wrong? Lani asked, swinging her feet back and forth.

"We're almost out of fuel. We've got quite a bit of food and water, thankfully, but we still need other supplies."

"Like what? A box of matches, clothing?" Alice asked.

"Yes, that's exactly what I mean."

"Which means...?"

"We're going on a holiday." Slate coughed.

"Yay. Fun. Notice the enthusiasm in my voice."

"Oh. This is going to be one hell of a ride, I'm telling you that now."

~*~

Jett slowed down at an intersection. It was deserted, except for a few flesh-eaters dotted here and there in the distance, and a few broken-down or abandoned cars.

It was starting to get dark; the sun was already setting and the moon was trying its best to lift itself high into the sky. Alice rolled down the window a tiny bit, and a cool breeze rushed into the car, making their skin tingle. She could see a thin line of orange's and yellow's, disappearing behind blocky buildings before reappearing again.

"Let's sleep here tonight." Jett's words were blurred out, becoming fragmented with the cool breeze.

Alice didn't object. She just lay back in her seat, folded her arms over her chest and closed her eyes. Jett did the same, almost mimicking Alice in the same fashion. Even though a lot of thoughts clouded his head, he managed to push them out and thought only positive thoughts. Soon he fell asleep, followed shortly by Lani and then Ivy.

"I can see you're still awake." Alice murmured, opening one eye to stare at Slate. He half-smiled and stared back at her.

"Just us two left awake again, hey?"