4) Fallen

Land of the Dead
Chapter 4 --- Fallen

"Why haven't they returned yet?" Jett paced around in circles, Flynn watching his every move. "It's been an hour already!"

"Exactly, it's been an hour. Didn't I say they could hunt around for stuff until dark?"

"You said that?"

Flynn leant back against the couch. "I'm not sure. Did I say that?"

"No, you didn't." Ivy skipped out of the kitchen. She went and sat herself down beside Flynn, a smile etched onto her face. "Alice should be fine, Jett, especially if she's grouped up with Slate."

Jett began pacing up and down the lounge room, rubbing his temple.

"How can you be so calm?" He asked. Flynn shrugged.

"This is Slate we're talking about."

"And Alice!"

"Jeez, you should stop worrying so much, they'll be fine. I've known Slate for years, he'll take care of her."

"Yeah, and I've known all of you for, what, a day? How can I trust you?"

Flynn looked Jett in the eye. "It's either you take a chance and trust us or you walk alone."

Jett looked away. Ivy decided to intervene.

"Listen, I made more sandwiches!" Ivy waved a sandwich in Flynn's face.

"Can't you make something other than sandwiches?"

Ivy shrugged and took a bite of her ham, lettuce and mayonnaise sandwich. "All we've got left is a loaf of bread, a few slices of ham, some lettuce and a few cans of soup."

"Okay, I'll have soup then."

"I might add it's tomato soup."

"...I'll have a sandwich, thanks Ivy...."

Ivy rolled her eyes and got up off the sofa. Flynn jumped up onto his feet and followed her shortly after, leaving Jett in the living room. He was walking around in circles again, screaming at himself mentally.

"Ivy, are you so sure that-"

"Ssshhh!" Ivy placed a finger to his lips. "He'll hear you if you don't quiet down!"

"Right..." Flynn gently took hold of her hand. "Sorry."

Ivy smiled and Flynn tucked a loose strand of her hair behind her ear.

"I'm pretty sure he hasn't figured it out yet."

"I have a feeling that Alice has figured it out. The way she acted earlier...she wanted to leave so badly, I could see it in her eyes, how desperate she was to get out of here, to get as far away from here as possible...for goodness sake, she called me Ron Weasley." Ivy wretched her hand free of Flynn's grip.

"I'll be calling you Ron Weasley if you don't stop worrying. You're starting to become more like...Jett? Always worrying about things that you needn't even worry over. I like you the way you are so stay that way for me, please." Ivy started slicing the loaf of bread into equal pieces. Flynn turned his back on Ivy.

"I'm not the only one worrying about this situ-"

Ivy threw a spoon at Flynn's head before he could react. Luckily it zoomed right past his head and hit the wall.

"That would've been a knife if I could've found one. I missed you on purpose too, by the way." She returned back to slicing the bread. Flynn spun on his heel.