Chapter 41: Broken Halves

After about an hour of waiting and watching, with Gertrude occasionally checking in on things, the two of us watched as Nala finally gave birth, her baby entering the world. On a bright spring day where the sun hung high in the sky, a new life was born. A new and precious life. In comparison to its mother, it was so small and tiny, its fragile frame shaking as it glanced around with its large eyes. It was such a magical thing to see and as Nala licked her baby, it became even more real.

"Wow," I gasped, feeling the wind comb through my hair. "Nala is a mom." I turned to Jean, teasing, "That makes you a grandpa, Grandpa."

He shot me a sharp glance, smirking, "Who are you calling grandpa?"

"You," I joked, flashing him a smile. "Your little Nala is all grown up, now. How does that make ya feel?"

He scaned me quickly before smiling, "Honestly, it makes me feel good. It means that I did something right."

I observed him, watching as the gentle glow of the light bathed him, illuminating his features. He appeared so at peace and happy, the smile on his face reaching the depth of his eyes. In the afternoon gleams, his eyes morphed into deep pools of honey that were soft like fur. Everything about him was so peaceful and beautiful. He was a sense of peace.

I played with my fingers and dropped my stare to my feet, saying, "You did. She looks happy and is thriving. As far as Nala is concerned, you're the best dad ever."

I didn't look up, but I could feel his eyes studying me. I knew those fiery orbs were burning into me, examining me, though I wasn't sure what there was to find. If anything, he'd only see me trying to fight my cheeks from flushing red. That was all there was to see, really. Still, I kept my gaze averted.

"You really think so?" he finally asked, drawing my attention to him. My eyes collided with his. "You really think that?"

My breath became lodged in my throat, but I managed to squeak, "Yes. I do. I firmly believe that."

He scanned me quickly before smirking, "Thanks. That actually means a lot."

I just nodded, feeling my face and ears burn. I knew I was blushing, but I didn't care. I didn't want to look away...not then. Because in the light of the day, I was reminded of just how gentle and tender he really was. Beneath that fierce exterior was a sweet and kind soul. A soul that his parents must have been beaming with pride over, though that made me curious. I met Gertrude...but where was his father? I was curious.

"No problem," I swallowed, fidgeting with my fingers. "Umm...I know this may be random or even rude -if it's pushing any boundaries, you don't need to answer...but, um. Where's...where's your dad? Doesn't he live here too or...?"

I watched as he absorbed the question before sighing, "My dad...um, he doesn't live here, no. He...he actually lives six feet under at Trost Grove Cemetery. Well, I wouldn't say he lives there, but I'm sure you get it."

My eyes widened at that. "Trost Grove Cemetery? Your dad...he's...he's...?"

"Dead," he finished, flashing me a small smile. "Yeah. Yeah he died a long time ago."

"Oh my gosh," I panicked, holding my hands over my mouth. "I am so sorry. I had no idea. I am so, so sorry."

A gentle breeze blew, combing her warm fingers through Jean's hair. I sat and watched as the shadows cast by the overhead trees danced across his long features, painting him with their tints. I honestly expected to have accidentally triggered or upset him, but no. That was not the case. Despite what he had just disclosed to me, he seemed perfectly fine. To me, that was a tad alarming, but it didn't take long for him to continue.