Chapter 9: Night Walking

I couldn't sleep that night.

I couldn't keep my eyes from staring at my ceiling, my gaze taking in how the shadows claimed where the light did not reach. It was as if my mind was racing a million miles a minute. Then again, it was racing a million miles a minute. I was thinking about everything from the fast-approaching final exams to YF/N to Kellen to...to Jean.

Of all the things and people I could think about, why him? Then again, why did I ever think about him? It never made sense to me. I felt like I could ask myself that constantly and still be left to ponder. No matter how many times I indulged myself in that question, I would remain empty-handed. That was a fact that could not be denied.

And yet...and yet I couldn't just pry him from my thoughts.

He was there. His long face and youthful features painted themselves in my imagination. His tall, lean build sculpted to life in the depth of my thoughts. His silky voice rolled through the memories I had cataloged from all our encounters. Those piercing cognac orbs of his plastered themselves in my mind. Everything about him was present, but of all those things stood one above all the others; his touch.

Even then, my skin tingled at remembering how gentle his touch always was. Whether it was merely his fingertips gliding against me or his palm firmly planting against my body, I still reacted the same. Goosebumps sprawling across my flesh with chills darting the length of my spine. He had some effect on me and one I did not understand.

"Why does this all have to be so confusing?" I groaned in annoyance. "Why do I feel so conflicted and like I'm at war with myself?"

It was all ridiculous, really. I had no reason to feel that way, and yet, there I was. Hopelessly laying on my bed and staring at my ceiling, the hope of sleep escaping me. Then again, I wasn't really tired. Due to my racing thoughts, I wasn't just restless, I was wide awake. Even if I wanted to sleep, I was too wired to.

So, I pulled the covers back and hiked out of my bed. I found a pair of black sweats and shimmied into them, followed by shrugging into a plain black hoodie. I slipped on a pair of Converse sneakers and grabbed my keycard and cell, shoving both into my pockets. At that, I left my room, closing the door behind me.

The strict curfew enforced during Professor Wells attacks had just been lifted, but that said, there was still MRU's general curfew...that I was breaking. But I didn't care. I couldn't just stay cooped up in my dorm...not with all those thoughts. I needed air and I couldn't wait until dawn. That was why I wasted no time. I silently but quickly made my way down the hall to the staircase and jogged down each step. If I moved quickly I could go without getting caught. Hopefully.

I reached the first floor and made for my exit out the door. Sure enough, I was greeted by the chilly gale of the late night. It chilled my skin and jolted me, but it was nothing compared to the previous winter's bitter bite. In comparison, what I was walking through was pleasant.

I wasted little time and walked quickly as not to get noticed. I didn't know where I planned on going, but anywhere was better than just lingering outside the doors. So, I aimlessly wandered. With the lampposts and the crescent moon casting their gleams down to light my path as I went on. The soles of my Converse occasionally scraped the pavement, reminding me that I had to remain quiet.

Stealthily...carefully...I crept in the night hours until I found myself on a familiar trail that I had seen once before during a time far colder. Back when snow and ice blanketed over the landscape. The place where I came across the photographer and Nala. It seemed like ages since I'd thought about either. In fact, I had shoved both far from my thoughts. I figured I'd never see either again, but as I walked and thought I couldn't help but wonder how they were. Was Nala still in the area? Was she healthy? What about the photographer? Was he okay? Was he doing well? I was genuinely curious.

So, instead of perching on the bench as I had planned, I wandered into the woods as I had before. The trees and ground were both brimming with new plant life, which made walking slightly more difficult. I had to dodge branches full of leaves, but I reached the edge of the clearing. Unlike before, the dim gleams of the moon were too weak to illuminate the space before me, but what little it did highlight stood out. It was calm and peaceful, the cool breeze rattling through the leaves only soothing me.

Though it was still nippy, the spring season was much better than the bitterly shrill winter. It was almost perfect for strolling. However, I doubt what I was doing was considered as merely going on a midnight stroll. What I was doing involved more of searching.

My eyes scanned the clearing, my eyes just barely able to see what laid before me in the night...when I saw her. Nala.

**Ello my sweet lovelies. I'm sorry if this chapter sucks. On the day of typing (December 9, 2018) I've had it rough. We had to make a difficult decision. Though it's hard, I still figured I'd type somethin' for y'all. So, I still hope y'all liked this and I hope y'all are doing well. Thank you so much for everything. Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross

P.S. "London Bridge" by Ed Sheeran and Yelawolf