Chapter 39: Fresh

"Hey, pops," I smiled, the soles of my shoes scuffing the floor.

"Hey, sweetheart," he beamed, turning his TV off. "I wasn't expecting you today." Just as he sat up his eyes landed on Jean, the surprise growing. "Oh, I definitely wasn't expecting you, Jean, but it is nice to see you again. How are you?"

Jean made his way closer to my father and replied, "Hello, sir. I'm doing pretty good. Can't complain. How are you?"

YF/N shrugged, "I'm doin' pretty good as well." He then glimpsed up at me. "So, how was the Ball? Where's that boyfriend of yours?"

I was afraid he'd want to know about that. Though, that was obvious. Of course, he would want to know how it all went. I just didn't know how I was going to break the news to him. I didn't want him to lose control over his blood pressure, so I couldn't relay all the details. He didn't need to know about the pictures and videos. Maybe when he was better, I would tell him, but not then.

I played with my fingers and replied, "It was nice. There was a lot of people."

"Did you have fun?" he pressed.

"Yeah," I answered.

He eyed me. "Where's that Kevin boy?"

Just tell him the bare minimum, Y/N. I told myself. He doesn't need to know the whole truth. I knew he would be curious, so I had to say something. Just a snippet of the truth. That was all he needed to hear.

I sighed, "We...broke up."

"Oh," was all he replied. His eyes bounced between Jean and I. "Well...are you two...?"

Both Jean and I perked up, answering in unison, "No."

We both turned to each other, our cheeks flushing red. My face and ears were both on fire, so I could only assume his were too. His countenance was a scarlet tint that almost looked comical on him. Honestly, it made him look cute. Seeing him all flustered was something I liked seeing. It made me remember that he was human just like me.

"Okay," YF/N snorted. "I'll leave that for you two to discuss in private. For now, what happened between you and Kevin?"

I turned and faced my father, chuckling, "Kellen, Dad. His name was Kellen. And...we just figured it wasn't working between us." I fiddled with my fingers. "Besides, he'll be going to Sina University next semester and I'm not a fan of long-distance relationships, so it's better this way."

"I can understand that," he admitted before turning to Jean. "So, Jean. Will you still continue attending MRU?"

"Yes, sir," Jean nodded.

YF/N waved his hand dismissively, chuckling, "Jean, just call me YF/N, remember? No need to be formal, son."

"Right. Sorry, YF/N," Jean swallowed.

YF/N adjusted his posture so that he was sitting up more properly. I aided in adjusting his pillow since there wasn't much else, I could do. If there was anything -anything- no matter how small that I could do to help ease my father, I would. That was all I could do.

"Thank you, sweetheart," YF/N beamed.

"No problem," I smiled.

He scanned me briefly before turning back to Jean, continuing, "So, what are you majoring in, Jean?"

"Veterinary medicine," Jean answered confidently.

YF/N perked up at that. "Really?"

"Yes, sir -er- YF/N," Jean nodded.

I could tell YF/N liked that answer. It was something unsuspected. Knowing my father, he probably thought Jean was majoring in an art course or something of that nature. The fact that Jean answered with something else most likely impressed him. My father liked to be pleasantly surprised.

"Veterinary medicine, eh?" YF/N repeated, lifting a brow. "That's an ambitious goal. Why that major?"

I turned to Jean. I already knew he had a fondness for animals, but I wanted to see him explain that to YF/N. I wanted him to tell my father about all the times he saved animals as a child. I wanted my father to laugh at the stories of Jean's mother most likely growing frustrated with her son's constant new additions. Above all, I want YF/N to know that gentleness that hid deep within Jean.

"It's cliché, but I love animals," Jean replied, the corners of his lips lifting into a soft smile. "I grew up rescuing injured birds and squirrels. I don't know. I always just loved to take care of them and watch as they grew strong and healthy again." He laced his fingers together. "It made me feel like I was doing something beneficial. Helping something as innocent as an animal made me feel like I was doing good. I guess it gave me purpose."

I redirected my focus back to YF/N. His lips were bowed into a warm smile, reaching the depth of his fe/c orbs. He saw it, too. He saw exactly what I had seen time after time. He saw the tenderness in Jean's gaze and heard it in his voice. That was clear to me. Much like myself, YF/N could see that gentle side of Jean. The side other's glimpsed over.

"Very admirable," YF/N complimented. "I like that. I have a feeling you'll do great things in that field."

"Thank you, YF/N," Jean smiled.

We all three sat and talked for another hour, the three of us bantering and telling stories. YF/N told embarrassing stories of me from when I was too young to know better and Jean laughed. It was nice. The atmosphere was light and pleasant. It didn't even feel like we were in a hospital or that I had just gone through hell the night before. It felt natural.

We were in the middle of a story about the time YF/N caught me making a run for it at a waterpark when I was two when Jean's phone began to chime. He flashed us both apologetic glances and excused himself to go take the call, leaving YF/N and I to ourselves. Whatever he had to say, I was ready for it. Critique or praise, I was prepared.

After a few moments of sitting in silence, YF/N smiled, "I like him a lot. He's a good guy, Y/N. He's a really good guy."

"I know," I laughed. "He's a really great guy. And...he's single."

YF/N lifted his brows and flashed a sly smirk, "If you don't date that boy, I will."

I scrunched my face up and cackled, "Eww, Dad. He's half your age. Plus, I didn't know you rolled that way."

"I don't, but if it means keeping him in this family then I will," he laughed.

We both unleashed roars of belly laughter at our stupidity. We both knew that would never happen, but it felt good to laugh. I needed that. It made me feel better, really. It made me remember that it was okay to laugh in times of darkness.

Just as we were settling down, Jean barreled into the room, announcing, "Y/N, my mom just called. Nala is in labor."

I darted up to my feet, cheering, "What? She is?"

"Yeah," he answered, a broad smile bowing his lips. "She is."

"Wait. Who's Nala?" YF/N asked.

"The deer that Jean raised. She's about to have her first baby," I answered, the excitement projecting itself through my words.

YF/N blinked and shook his head, most likely to gather his thoughts. Nursing fallen birds and squirrels were one thing, but raising a deer was something on a level all of its own. However, he absorbed it quickly because without skipping a beat he turned to me, his eyes filling with so much approval. Jean was a nurturing soul and YF/N approved of that presence in my life.

"Well?" YF/N asked. "What the hell are you two still doing here? Nala is about to have her baby! Go! Go!"

I was about to jog out the door, but stopped and turned to YF/N, questioning, "Will you be okay?"

He waved his hands dismissively. "I'll be fine. Now, go."

I flashed him a final grin and Jean and I both left. There was about to be a new life brought into the world and I wasn't going to miss it.

**Bello my lovelies! Lookie there. YF/N really likes Jean and now Nala is in labor. Are y'all excited? Gonna meet Jean's "grandson"/"granddaughter". That's huge. I hope y'all are prepared! Thank you so super duper much for everything! Stay groovy. Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross