Chapter 33: The Calm Before the Storm

Eren was recognized for his courage at aiding a "destressed young woman" after she was being stalked. Honestly, I didn't mind that they left details out as I had no desire to be known as the "almost victim" of Professor Wells. That was something I just didn't want. Besides, I wanted to focus on Eren. He looked so proud and happy to be up on that stage accepting the award. He smiled and beamed as he shook Mr. Lindell's hand. Of course, I clapped and cheered for him. Had it not been for him that night there was no saying what would have happened to me.

I stood and watched as each House announced their awards. So many people were being recognized for different things. Charity, generosity, courage, organization, hospitality, and so much more. They were all being recognized in some way or another. I just clapped when needed and occasionally exchanged a few whispers with Connie. The strange part was that the entire time I stood there, Kellen exchanged not a single word with me. He just remained in his stance, his eyes locked on the stage.

I didn't know what he was so focused on. All I knew was that whatever he was focused on he was staring at it hard. His eyes told me that he saw nothing but what he was glaring at. That was when I remembered that Jean was up there. The two weren't fond of each other. I dared to even say they detested one another. At least, that was what I gathered from all that I heard.

I was about to ask if he was alright when Alexandra spoke, "And now, the Member of the House. Jean?"

I perked up and turned at that. Jean approached the mic, looking just as gorgeous as he had earlier. The artificial gleams of the lights bathed him, making him appear almost godlike. Everything about him was just so amazing.

"Right," he said into the mic. "Member of the House is awarded annually to one House resident in one of the Houses. This award represents great citizenship, dedication, and willingness to help a fellow brother or sister." He took a brief pause before adding, "And this year's award will be presented by two former recipients and ADA alumni. Would the presenters please step forward?"

Mr. Lindell and another man both stepped forward, the presence of the two screaming authority and demanding respect. And as if Mr. Lindell wasn't intimidating on his own, the man to his side was. He was a giant that was built from pure muscle, his suit screaming at concealing him. I didn't know how it wasn't bursting at the seams, but it wasn't. However, aside from both being tall and fit, both were also blond, their hair styled nicely to show their chiseled features. They weren't bad looking, just intimidating.

"Hello again, everyone," Mr. Lindell smiled into the mic. "You have no idea how honored I am -how honored we are- to be here tonight presenting this award. This award, as Mr. Kirstein said, represents many fine qualities that most leaders display and I can't be prouder to be here to present to this year's recipient." Mr. Lindell took a breather and glimpsed over at Kellen. "Kellen, I am so beyond proud of you. It's amazing to see how far you've come over these years. You have truly grown into an amazing young man."

I snuck a discreet peek over at Kellen, observing how he just stared up at the man. I could tell he was fighting back a smile, though I wasn't sure why. He had every right to smile and to be happy. I mean, by the sounds of it he was receiving a very important award that deserved some kind of recognition. At least, that was what I thought.

"I am very proud of you," Mr. Lindell repeated. "We both are. Do you have anything to add, Samson?"

The larger blond man reached over and took the mic from Mr. Lindell, saying, "Yes. Kellen, today is the day that I say I am proud of you. I am proud of the man you've become. I am proud of your accomplishments. I am proud to call you my son."

Mr. Lindell yelled, "This year's Member of the House award goes to my nephew, Kellen Haas!"

The room erupted with cheers and claps as Kellen made his way up to the stage. I watched, dumbfounded as he shook their hands, his father pulling him into a hug. His father. That was his father. That giant of a man was the man who helped to create Kellen. I had a feeling his father would be intimidating, but I never imagined he'd be a giant dressed in a suit. I was a tad surprised to say at least.

"Holy...fuck," I murmured.

"What?" Connie asked. "Haven't ya ever seen his dad or uncle before?"

I shook my head and glimpsed at Connie, answering, "No. Not even a picture."

"Really?" He sounded surprised. "You're dating the eldest son of Samson Haas and Sandra Free and you haven't even seen a picture of his folks?"

I just stared at him.

"Whoa, wait. You're being serious?" he gasped. "You really have no idea who they are?"

"Was I supposed to?" I asked.

"Considering that Samson Haas is the best-known defense lawyer in all of Trost and Sandra Free is a retired model I thought he would've said something," he shrugged. "Guess not, though."

My eyes widened at that. His father was a lawyer and his mother was a model. It suddenly made sense. The confidence...the dashing good looks...the charisma...everything. It all made perfect sense. Just like everyone else in the Houses, he was a blue blood. He was the product of sophistication and charm. He was raised to be sophisticated and charming. It made sense.

"I wonder if it has to do with the rumors," Connie thought out loud, grasping my attention.

I brought myself back to reality and pressed, "What rumors? You guys never told me that."

"Hmm? Oh, yeah. We didn't," he replied.

"Didn't what?" Eren interjected as he joined us.

"Y/N said she has never seen Kellen's family -not even a picture," Connie answered. "She didn't even know that Samson Haas and Sandra Free are his parents."

I watched as a worried expression doused Eren's features. His eyes became filled with concern as his lips pressed in a hard line. He knew something and I wanted to know what it was. I needed to know. If there was something up, I had the right to know.

"What?" I asked hurriedly.

He turned to face me, sighing, "I'm pretty sure this all has to do with the rumors."

"What rumors?" I snapped. "You guys keep saying that, but I have no idea what you're talking about."

They exchanged glances and Eren huffed, "The rumors...they're about sex tapes."

**Bello my awesome lovelies! I'm gonna do a quick explanation about why Kellen's parents have different last names even after marriage and divorce since I don't go into depth about it in the story. When Samson and Sandra got married Sandra kept her maiden name for her career. Just like how Mr. Lindell (Samson's full-blooded younger brother) has a different surname. Samson kept the family name while Gregory went with their mother's maiden name to distinguish himself from his big brother. I'll add that even after Sandra remarried, she still kept Free as her last name, but all the children have their fathers' last names. Okay, so that explanation was longer than I thought, but hopefully, it helped. Anyway, I hope y'all liked this chapter! Thank you so much for everything! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross

"Liar Liar" by Christina Grimmie. Rest easy you beautiful soul. R.I.P.