Chapter 21: Fret

"So, don't freak out. My dad will most likely be wearing a mask," I said, glancing up at my boyfriend as we walked. "It's not that he's contagious, it's just -"

"We can get him sick," Kellen finished, flashing me a friendly smile. "Don't worry. I know. I promise I won't freak out."

His eyes locked with mine, that soft smile reaching them. He appeared so genuine and, to be frank, like a damn snack. His hair was trimmed into a tame undercut with his blond curls styled by hair products, giving full view of his stunning features. He was dressed in a pair of dark washed jeans that fit him well and a nice red plaid button down shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, giving me full view of his bulging veins. Everything from the top of his head to the black Vans on his feet made him look like a model. He was immaculate and just too beautiful.

"Sorry," I apologized. "I'm just a little nervous. I mean, this is kinda a big deal."

"I get that," he smiled as he laced his fingers with mine. "But I'm very excited to be meeting him."

I nodded, "Me too."

We continued walking, me leading him to where YF/N's room was. The door was open, the sound of the television echoing from it. I was anxious to introduce YF/N to Kellen and vice versa. I had never really brought any guys around my parents before -not that I ever had a reason to- and was nervous to do just that. At least I gave Dad a call to give him a heads up beforehand. I swallowed. Oh, Dad...please don't embarrass me.

We finally reached the door and I inhaled deeply, bracing myself for what was about to happen. We rounded the bend into the room where we saw my dad. To my surprise, he was out of his bed, sitting in the recliner. He was actually dressed in his usual jeans and Polo shirt instead of his hospital gown. Beyond that, he was put together. He appeared to have bathed; his head covered by a knitted hat while his skin looked clean and not greasy. To put it plainly, he was the way he had been when I was a kid. Plus...he had on no mask.

"Dad," I panicked, rushing over to him. "Where's your mask? You know what the doctor said."

He turned off his TV and chuckled, "Relax. I'll be fine. Besides, I didn't want to be wearing that stupid thing when meeting this fellow." YF/N pushed up from his chair and shuffled closer to Kellen and I, extending his hand to my boyfriend. "YF/N. YF/N L/N."

Kellen took my dad's hand and gave it a shake, beaming, "Pleasure to meet you, sir. Kellen Haas."

"The pleasure is mine," YF/N replied.

I watched as the two released their grips and YF/N turned to his seat. It pained me to see how weak he was growing. He was just barely able to hobble back to his chair, the soles of his shoes scuffing the floor.

"I hope you'll forgive me, Kellen, but it is hard for me to stand for too long these days," YF/N huffed as he lowered himself into his chair.

"No need to worry, sir. I completely understand," Kellen shrugged.

YF/N observed him briefly before continuing, "Anyway. You two feel free to sit."

"Thank you, sir," Kellen nodded.

My boyfriend went and claimed a spot on the small sofa close to YF/N's recliner. He lifted his gaze to mine and flashed me a small smile, patting the cushion next to him. Despite feeling awkward with my dad being there, I drifted over and slid into the spot he had silently offered to me. All the while, I felt my dad's eyes on me.

I couldn't figure out what he was searching for, but I knew very well that he was indeed watching us. His fe/c eyes glanced between Kellen and me. I couldn't really read him which was unusual.

"So, Kellen," YF/N began. "Tell me about yourself. Do you work?"

Kellen shook his head. "No. My parents said my job right now is college."

"I see. What are you studying?" YF/N pressed.

"Sports medicine with a minor in psychology," Kellen answered confidently.

That response seemed to impress my father. He made an approving expression and laced his fingers together. A knot formed in my stomach as the anxiety overwhelmed me. I was terrified.

"I can see why you need to focus on your studies," YF/N nodded. "Do you have any hobbies or things you enjoy doing to relax after studying for so long?"

Kellen scratched the back of his neck and chuckled, "Well, I've always fancied boxing. It's a great stress reliever and workout."

I didn't know he boxes. I glimpsed up at my boyfriend, watching as he interacted with my dad. Their words grew muffled as my thoughts overtook me. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how little I truly knew about my boyfriend. I didn't know all that much...not his favorite color...not his favorite food...not anything.

I knew so little and yet I trusted him so fully.

**Bello my awesome lovelies! Well, that didn't go bad. YF/N seemed to like Kellen. Well, based off what we know so far. Any ideas what'll happen next? Feel free to let me know! Thank you so flippin' much for everything! Y'all are coolio! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross