Chapter 14: Angelic Man

"Alrighty folks," Professor Ral chimed. "You all have fifty minutes to make any last-minute adjustments on your final piece. Once complete, please turn in your work on the front table and place any borrowed material in their rightful places. After that, you may leave. Grades will be posted this evening and you may pick up your graded work tomorrow at the zone." She scanned us all with her warm orbs and smiled, "And, of course, everyone have a safe summer break. Begin."

At that, everyone got to work doing what they needed to. It was our final day with Professor Ral. To be honest, it was crazy to think about. I was about to finish the second semester of my college career, thus completing my first year. It was hard to believe. One year. One whole year living away from YM/N...one year from managing on my own...one year of it all. I couldn't be happier than I was then. I was proving my mother wrong. I was making it on my own without a man's money or charity.

I was happy. I was passing all my classes with high grades, managing well with no financial help from my folks, and was in a healthy relationship. But that was when my throat went dry. Kellen. He was such a swell guy, but despite that, our relationship felt so...unnatural. Sure, he was a great conversationalist, but that did nothing to change how I felt. The beginning had been wonderful, though it was the novelty that had disguised how much work went into it all. I mean, I knew relationships were always full of work. I just never imagined it would have been that difficult.

I just shook my head. It was most likely the end of the semester ruffling my feathers. After all the exams were done and classes were out for the summer, then surely, I'd have more energy to invest into Kellen. After all, I already told YF/N about him, so I knew my father was expecting to meet my boyfriend. I had to prep him for that. Well, I had to prep both of us for that. However, I wasn't looking forward to any of it.

I refocused myself back onto the task at hand. I had to tweak a few little things on my piece such as a few lines and shadows. I glanced over my project. I had decided to go a different route from the rest of my peers. While everyone else went for a more realistic focus, I had gone a more...imaginative path. I had created an intricate piece of an angelic man clothed by a cloth that hung from his hips. The shadows I had smudged onto him dipped and dived into the valleys of his abdominal muscles, the highlights illuminating where I chose to place them.

However, it wasn't his muscles that I focused on for too long. Instead, I found my eyes drifting to his face. His features were so smooth and even. His lips were soft and gently bowed into a shy, yet genuine smile that reached the depth of his graphite eyes. I hadn't noticed it before, but I had put so much detail in his gaze alone. They were deep and filled with so much life, almost making him pop out of the paper. Almost. The happiness in them poured out.

He was such an angelic man with angelic features that it had only been fitting I had given him a large set of angel wings. Feathers longer than his forearms stretched out across the paper, each appearing so heavenly. His wings looked strong and healthy, the shadows and light each dancing across him perfectly. Some freshly budded trees in the background tied it all together.

An angel in spring.

I sat back, scanning over him. He was by far the most difficult piece I had worked on that semester, but I was still proud of the outcome. He had turned out just the way I wanted. He was, in my eyes, perfect. So, I signed my name in the bottom right corner and silently gathered my things. I had a habit of using my own materials, so I had no need to return anything to Professor Ral. I could hear a few nearby people doing the same and shuffle to where our instructor had told us to.

I followed in suit and took a final glimpse at my angel. I grinned at him and placed my work down. From there, I flashed Professor Ral a friendly smile and mouthed her a farewell. She returned the gesture and I left, marking the end of my art class.

It was a freeing feeling to know I was finishing up the semester. I was feeling good and excited for the much-needed break. I looked forward to the introverted time of shoveling sweet treats into my mouth while I binged on sitcom reruns and crime shows. I almost couldn't contain my excitement.

Amen, hallelujah, thank the Lord. I sang internally. Just a few more exams and I'm free for the summer. I was happily basking in my glee when my cell buzzed. I continued on my way and pulled it out, reading the text I had received.

Kellen <3: Hey babe! I thought I'd let you know that Alexandra and a few of the SOA girls are going dress shopping here soon. They said you could join them if you want. :)

The Ball. I had completely forgotten all about that. I hadn't planned on going with a bunch of strangers to the mall to find a dress I'd only wear once. All I wanted was to go to my dorm and curl up to some Dateline...but, it seemed that wouldn't be my activities. So, against my desire, I texted back.

Me: That's awesome! Can't wait.

What a load of BS.

**Ello my sweet lovelies! So...we've already had one encounter with Alexandra, but what could possibly happen next? Any ideas what? Feel free to let me know! Thank you so super duper much for everything! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross