When we got home Kent's car wasn't in the driveway, which was something I was getting quite used to and something I really didn't like. I wasn't about to make Kent choose between us and his job though.

Emery ran off to her room as soon as we got home to go play with her Barbies and I sat at the island in the kitchen, rummaging through the mail from today. Bills, bills and more bills. That was all that every came in the mail these days. No more birthday cards or letters from anyone, just bills.

I decided to start unpacking more things from the large U-Haul boxes in the corner of the kitchen and I guess time went by faster that way. Before I knew it the clock was reading 9:58 pm, Emery had eaten dinner and was already in bed and Kent was walking through the front door. His hair was in a mess and his tie around his neck hung loose, no longer in the neat and tight bow I had tied just this morning for him.

"Wow you're home early," I muttered under my breath sarcastically while I kept busy stacking our plates into one of the cabinets.

"It's not even ten yet," Kent retorted, grabbing a glass from another cabinet and filling it with water.

"Oh I'm sorry, you're early by two minutes," I said, still being sarcastic and still not looking at Kent.

"Bad day or what?" He muttered, tugging off his suit jacket and tie, flinging them onto the counter and sitting on one of the island stools.

"You wouldn't know because you're never home to talk about it anyway," I was getting angry, although I shouldn't be, because it technically wasn't Kent's fault, but still.

"We're talking now aren't we?" Was Kent's response before he moved over to hug me from behind. "Talk to me beautiful,"

I turned around in his arms and kissed him quickly before resting my head on his chest. "I just miss you, that's all,"

Kent rested his chin on the top of my head and sighed loudly. "I know, I'm sorry but things will start to slow down and I'll be home more often, just give it like two more weeks and we'll be back to normal,"

Now it was my turn to sigh loudly. We didn't say anything for a long time, just stood there in each others arms and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

"Tomorrow night there's a parent's night that we need to go to at 7," I finally said against Kent's chest. I could feel his body tense up as I spoke.

"I don't think I'll be able to make it," Kent whispered. I instantly pushed away from him.

"What do you mean?" I asked, narrowing my eyes. Kent held his hands up in his defense.

"Baby, Richard is holding a board meeting tomorrow that is mandatory for all staff to attend, it starts at 6 and I don't think I'll be out by 7, but I can still try okay?" Kent said reaching for me again and pulling me towards him. I rolled my eyes but let him kiss my cheek anyway.

"I hope you try hard," I mumbled before we both headed into the bedroom to get ready for bed.

I glanced out the window from inside the kindergarten room and saw Emery sliding down the slide on the playground while an adult watched all of the kids run around and play. I turned my attention back towards Ms. Phillips who was talking to all of us parents about the importance of communication between the parents and the teacher. I glanced at the clock that read 7:30. No sign of Kent. No call from Kent. He wasn't coming.

By 8 o'clock Ms. Phillips let us mingle around the room while she answered parents' questions one on one. I was watching Emery play with other kids on the playground with a clear cup in my hand filled with red fruit punch. I was angry. Kent should be here. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I slipped it out, unlocking the screen and reading the text from Kent.

Meeting ran late, I'm so sorry. I'll be there as fast as I can!

I quickly texted him back.

Don't bother, it's already over.

I slipped my phone back into my pocket and returned my gaze to the kids outside.

"It's Sadie right?" I heard a man's voice ask from behind me. I turned to see Justin smiling as he stepped towards me.

"Yeah, you're Justin?" I asked even though I remembered his name perfectly fine.

"Yeah, glad you remembered," He said laughing and looking out the window with me. "So where is your husband tonight? I noticed you're here alone. Wait you are married right? You aren't a widow or single mother? I'm sorry for just assuming if so,"

I laughed but kept my gaze on Emery outside. "No I'm not a widow or single mother, I'm married but my husband . . . well he couldn't uh, make it tonight,"

"Oh, why not? If . . . If you don't mind me asking of course!" Justin said quickly.

"Not at all, he's too busy working, honestly that's all he's been doing lately," There was a pause for a minute or so before Justin finally spoke.

"Sadie," He said making me turn to look at him, wondering what he was going to say next. "If I had a wife as beautiful as you, I would never, ever, put work before you or your gorgeous daughter. Just remember that,"