Chapter Eighteen

Sadie's POV

I carefully set the hot cup of hot chocolate on the coffee table in front of Ryan and took my seat next to Kent, who sat as stiff as a statue. 

Charlie sat close to Ryan, allowing Ryan's hand to sit on his thigh as he smiled at both Kent and I. 

Charlie. 

The Charlie that played Kent and I against each other our junior year in high school. The Charlie that made me believe he was someone completely different. The Charlie that attempted to kill my husband. 

For a moment I choked back the urge to lunge over the coffee table and strangle Charlie. 

Kent must have sensed my feelings as he placed his hand on my thigh and gave it a squeeze. It's true it has been years since we have seen Charlie. Since that night exactly, actually. He might have changed. From what his parents had told us he had gotten all the help he needed and was back on the right medication. We had sent Emery to her room to play while we caught up with our old . . . 'friends'. 

"You two look exactly the same as I remember from high school," Charlie spoke first, reaching out and taking the hot chocolate that I had originally gotten for Ryan. 

"So do you guys," Kent replied, trying not to sound so uptight but his voice was strained still. This situation was awkward, beyond awkward and if the boys felt the same way they sure didn't act like it. "What made you move over here?" 

"Work," Ryan said, shrugging his shoulders. 

I found the coincidence to be a bit odd considering Charlie knew exactly where I grew up. And Oregon is all the way across the county from Florida. So that they ended up over here was in itself a suspicion, to me. 

"What about you two?" Charlie asked now. Kent shifted, relaxing a bit as the conversation continued and hung his arm over my shoulder. 

"We wanted to be closer to Sadie's parents for Em's sake," I couldn't seem to make any effort to talk at the moment. I didn't want to talk to Charlie. Ryan I was fine with talking to but Charlie, no. 

I can't believe he even had the nerve to show up to my house with my family and try to talk to us. I didn't want to catch up with someone who once tried to kill Kent. Even if he got all the help from the best doctors in the world and was on the best medication I know that deep down he's still the same old Charlie. 

And I didn't want him here. 

"You know, we actually have to head out in a few minutes to get over to my parents house," I quickly said, standing up and grabbing the mug that Charlie had just set back down. It was still almost completely full but I took it to the kitchen and dumped it out anyway. 

"Trying to rush us out of here, are we?" Ryan said in a teasing way, winking over at me. 

I gave him my best smile, which was not very convincing. 

"Emery just can't wait to see her grandparents," I replied coldly. Ryan should understand how I feel. He knows about everything that happened. Then again he still chose to be with Charlie even after all of that mess. Love can be blind at times I suppose. 

"Don't worry, we aren't here to ruin family time. We just wanted to catch up with some old friends," Charlie said and he and Ryan stood up at the same time. Kent stood up as well and came to stand by my side as the guys put their shoes and coats on. 

As Ryan was about to say his goodbye's Emery came running down the hall from her bedroom, a smile on her face and her hair bouncy in every which way. 

"Mommy! Can you help me?" She cried out. She must need help putting together one of the new toys she just got. 

"In a minute, love," I said quietly. I didn't want Emery to be out here with the guys. I didn't want my child around Charlie. 

"This must be your daughter," Charlie said gazing down at Emery, who looked up at him and smiled. 

"My name's Emery," She said. Charlie reached down and patted her head. 

"You're gorgeous," He replied. "just like your mother," 

His words sent chills down my spine and now I wanted him out of my house more than ever. 

"How old are you?" Charlie asked. Maybe he was just trying to be nice, he didn't sound creepy but everything that came out of that man's mouth was threatening to me. 

"Alright, we have to go now," I said, cutting Emery off before she could answer any questions Charlie was pestering her about. 

Charlie and Ryan both looked disappointed but they said their goodbyes and headed out the door. 

"I hope to see you guys again soon," Was Charlie's last words as he closed the door behind him. 

As soon as I knew they were out of earshot I let out a loud sigh. I felt as if I had been holding my breath the whole time they were here. 

"That was so creepy! Don't you think that was creepy? Maybe we should call the cops," I began to panic and look around for my phone but Kent grabbed me and pulled me tight. 

"Sweetheart, calm down. Nothing bad is going to happen. They're being friendly and even though we didn't talk much it seems like Charlie is alright now, he seems healthy," Kent said running his hand through my hair. "Nothing bad is going to happen," 

I stayed tucked in Kent's arms for several moments before pulling away. 

"Maybe you're right, but something just . . . it just doesn't seem right to me," I said pacing back and forth now. Emery must have gotten occupied with something else because she was already back in her room singing to herself. 

"Sadie, you're overthinking things. Trust me, everything's going to be okay," He reached down and kissed me gently. "Besides, did you see how skinny Charlie was? He's like the same size he was in high school. I could totally take him on now with my hot bod," 

Kent winked down at me and we both giggled. It was true, back in high school the two boys were basically the same size but now Kent was not only a few inches taller but also more muscular and strong. I didn't doubt for a moment that Kent could beat Charlie if things started to get ugly. 

But Charlie doesn't play fair. He never has. 

"Let's head over to your mom and dads, I'm sure that'll get your mind off of this whole thing," Kent reached down and placed his hands on my still flat tummy. "Besides, we have better things to think about right now, remember?"

I couldn't help but smile as Kent bent down and kissed my belly before turning to head to our bedroom. 

Everything in our life was amazing. Kent's job was great, my job was going great, Emery was doing well in school and now we have a baby on the way which is exactly what I dreamed of. Even with all the happiness in the air something did not sit right in my stomach. 

Maybe Kent was right and I was overthinking, either way I wasn't about to let Charlie get the best of us again. 

If he had something hidden up his sleeve then I was going to be ready. Whether Kent was with me or not.