Chapter Seven

Sadie's POV

I parked my car in front of the tall building in town. It seemed so bleak, so plain. Getting out of my car, I made sure to lock it before pushing a couple of quarters into the parking meter and walking into the building. I was greeted by a security guard when I first walked through the revolving doors before I walked to the elevators and pushed the up button. 

Everyone in the building seemed so serious, not really the best work environment in my own opinion. When the elevator was on the floor the bell rang and the doors swooshed open, allowing me to walk into the box. It didn't take long before I reached floor 16 but it was just long enough for me to get tired of the boring melody playing over the speakers. 

"Good morning ma'am, may I help you?" A sweet, middle aged woman, asked from behind a large desk as soon as I stepped out of the elevator. 

"I'm looking for Kent Agather?" I had never visited Kent at work before, all I knew was that his office was somewhere on the 16th floor. 

"Are you here for a meeting?" The woman asked, still smiling. 

"No I'm actually his wife," I said smiling back at her. The woman's smile seemed to brighten a bit when she heard me say this and she stood up. 

"His office is down the hall, last door on the left dear," She said pointing in the dircetion she had just told me. 

"Thank you," I said before walking down the hall. People dressed in grey or black suits walked briskly past me, hurrying about with their business and barely noticing that I was even present. So far there had been no sign of Janet. 

I stood in front of a large black door that had three floor to ceiling windows to the left of it, covered with blinds so no one could peek in. There was a plague hanging on the wall that said "Kent Agather C.E.O" and I couldn't help but smile, he had accomplished so much. 

I slowly opened the door and emerged into the room. Kent's back was facing me and he was furiously shuffling through papers in a file cabinet while standing beside four windows that peered down on the city. 

"Janet I don't have time for your silly questions right now, let me word for crying out loud," He growled over his shoulder, not glancing back at who it was and continuing with his duty. 

"Do you have time for my silly questions?" I asked, smirking while Kent whipped around to look at me. His smile broke onto his face while he rushed to me and embraced me in a hug that usually only happened when we hadn't seen each other in a long time. It felt amazing.

"I always have time for you love," He whispered, kissing me and pulling out one of the white leather seats in front of his desk for me to sit on. "What are you doing here?"

"I finished all of my work this morning and I didn't have any meetings so I thought I'd come visit my husband," I said watching him while he hustled about the room doing his work and trying to pay attention to me at the same time. Maybe it was a bad time to come. 

"I'm glad you did, it's good to have company, but today has been so crazy," He muttered, slipping into his big chair at his desk and grabbing handful of papers, plopping them down in front of him. 

I took this opportunity to look around his office. It was pretty plain, a large black desk with two white leather chairs in front of it, a big spinning black chair behind it, a lamp on one corner of the desk and a picture frame on the other. Two bookshelves were placed behind me, filled with all sizes and shapes of books, and three filing cabinets were to the right of his desk. A large picture frame of a big corn field with an old barn in black and white was hung behind where Kent was sitting. It was a nice office.