Chapter Six

Sadie

"You look freaking amazing!" Rebecca cried out as soon as she walked through the front door. She threw herself at me, embracing me in a long and well needed best friend hug that I had missed so much. "Now where's the booze?"

I pinched Rebecca's arm and motioned to Emery who was standing next to me, staring up at Rebecca with wide wondering eyes. "You remember my daughter right Rebeccas? Who is only five,"

"Of course I do!" Rebecca yelled, bending down to hug Emery with a hint of red on her cheeks. "You are so beautiful, just like your momma!"

Emery said thank you then ran off to play with the other kids here. Rebecca was one of the last ones to arrive at the house, everyone else had already made it an hour or so before. Chunk, Jayden, Jace, Squid, Dyllan and Jennifer were all  scattered throughout the living room or kitchen. Jackie couldn't make it because of work and Kent's parents were out of town but his siblings Stephanie, Brian and Mark had all made it and my parents were here too. Everything was perfect, the cake was on the counter with candles waiting to be lit and the presents were stacked up in the corner of the living room. The only thing that was missing was Kent.

"So how are you two doing? We haven't talked in forever," Rebecca asked while Stephanie and Jennifer huddled around as well to hear. They had all already been introduced and hit it off really well.

"We're doing better, he's just gone all the time with work and stuff but we're getting through it," I replied. Yeah Kent and I hadn't been doing the best with communicating to each other but it was slowly but surely getting better. He wasn't late coming home every night anymore, just most. "What about you and Chet, Rebecca? How are you two doing?"

Rebecca had been dating this guy for at least three years, they had met in college and stayed together since. Last she told me she was expecting him to propose any time now.

"Don't even speak that name around me, what an asshole," Rebecca growled rolling her eyes and walking away from the group to find the alcohol.

"Poor girl," Stephanie muttered before her son, Trey, caught her attention and she rushed off to scold him for running in the house.

"So when is the idiot showing up then?" Jace asked, walking into the kitchen. His attention immediately shifted towards Rebecca who was turned away from him, his eyes crawling up and down her body before he turned his attention back to me. "Why did we ever break up again?"

He motioned towards Rebecca who was having trouble getting the cork out of one of the wine bottles she had dug out from under the sink. "Because she was too 'superficial' for you remember?"

"What the hell was I thinking?" Jace asked out loud before rushing over to assist Rebecca who seemed grateful to have his help.

"Sadie! Kent is here!" My mom's voice rang out through the entire house.

"Okay everyone hide! He'll be in here in just a minute!" I whisper yelled to everyone who ran around the house like chickens with their heads cut off even though we had practiced this before. I turned off all of the lights and walked towards the door so I could open it for Kent. The sound of heels clicking against the pavement outside instantly caught my attention. I know for sure that Kent does not wear high heels, so who was with him?

A girl laughter filled the air and I whipped the door open. Kent was standing next to a petite red head in high black heels, reaching for the doorknob and staring down at her. A second later he realized that I had opened the door and turned to smile at me.

"Hi sweetheart," Kent said leaning forward and kissing me on the lips quickly. "This is Janet, I invited her over for dinner tonight to meet you, she's my new partner at work,"