Chapter Eleven

Sadie's POV

"Are you absolutely positive that he said Charlie?" Kent questioned me again while I shoved the milk into our fridge. 

"Pretty positive," I rolled my eyes. "like I said the last ten times"

"There's no way he's back here, last I heard he was staying in Florida after getting out of treatment because he landed a pretty good job there," 

"Well I don't know what to tell you then," I muttered, opening the cabinets to place the cereal and canned goods onto the shelves. 

"Sadie, I know you're still mad at me, but why don't we have a night to ourselves? I can go get some wine or maybe some tequila for us? Like the old days, what do you say?" Kent's offer did sound pretty good at the moment but I wasn't about to snap back to my old self just like that. No way sir. 

"Actually wine sounds amazing right now," I said with a smirk while Kent also started to smile. "I have a ton of paperwork I need to catch up on so sipping on some nice wine while doing so in the bedroom, by myself, would be absolutely wonderful. Thank you for offering," 

Kent's smile instantly faded but instead of saying anything to me he staggered out of the kitchen and next thing I know he's backing out of the driveway. 

After I had finished putting all of the groceries away I plopped down on our La Z Boy and began stalking people on Facebook. I searched for Ryan, who's profile picture of he and Charlie kissing on the beach was enough to get me jealous. Looking through his pictures after sending him a friend request, it seemed like he and Charlie had a great relationship, they had traveled everywhere and they looked so happy. I couldn't help the sharp pain of jealousy that seared in my chest while I clicked through the galleries upon galleries of cute couple pictures. Kent and I hadn't traveled much, we had gone to the Bahamas for our honeymoon but after that we never traveled anywhere else. I couldn't remember the last time that he and I had gone on a vacation. 

Suddenly my phone rang, cutting off my Facebook stalking and instead showing a number on my screen. Not recognizing it I answered. 

"Hello Sadie," A recognizable voice hummed on the other end. 

"Hi . . . who is this?" 

"It's your old friend Justin, remember me?" As soon as I connected the voice with the name chills ran down my spine, and not the good kind either. 

"You changed your number?" 

"Well yeah you see after you decided to block my old number I thought it was time for a little change, something I had wanted to do for a while you just gave me the extra motivation to do so," Before I could respond to that creepy statement he continued. "Your husband is not home,"

"How do you know that?"

"Oh sweetheart, you can't hide much from me," I suddenly started to panic. I jumped up and started closing all of the blinds around the house, if he was outside peeping in my window at least he wouldn't be able to see anything anymore. I ran and locked the front door as well. 

"What the hell do you want? Why are you doing this to me?" I asked, trying to keep my composure but failing. 

"You know what I want. I want you,"

"Well you can't have me. I am married. M-A-R-R-I-E-D. I am another man's wife. W-I-F-E," I didn't know why I was spelling everything out to him, I was just desperately trying to get this through his head so that he would leave me alone. "You don't mess with married women, especially not if their husband is mine. He will kick your ass," 

"That sounds like a challenge," He snickered on the other end. 

"I swear Justin if you do not leave me alone and stop this right now, I will call the cops," Suddenly the other line went dead. Had he left? Was he never here to begin with? Or . . . was he trying to break in? 

Where the hell was Kent? It doesn't take that long to get wine! 

I ran down the hallway and slipped my hand underneath Kent's side of the bed, grabbing the 9 mm pistol that was always between our mattress and the box spring, and I slowly started creeping down the hallway towards the front door. The back door was locked already, it always was, and I had just locked the front door but still, he could break in easily. 

I heard the front door knob jiggling and my heart beat spiked to the highest it's ever been in my life. I could feel the blood rushing through my ears and beads of sweat were starting to form on my forehead. If this wasn't Kent walking through the front door I hope I had the strength to pull the trigger on Justin. No one breaks into my house and lives to tell the tale. 

Seconds later the jiggling stopped and I heard the keys slip into the hole and the door popped open. It was Kent. My whole body seemed to go numb and I fell to the floor on my knees while I pushed the gun away from me. 

"Sadie what the hell?" Kent yelled, rushing to my side to hold me against him. 

"I . . .I thought you were someone else," I whispered, already starting to cry. 

"Like who?" Kent asked, kicking the gun farther away from the two of us and cradling me in his arms. "Who the hell has been bothering you Sadie? You know I'll do something about it," 

"I was scared to tell you," I sobbed, shaking in the arms of my husband.

"Well now you have no choice, spill," 

30 minutes later Kent was all filled in on the drama with Justin, had the gun in his hand and his car keys in the other, ready to drive to Justin's house and kill him. I grabbed his arm before he could go. 

"That's not going to do anything. I have proof and I'm going to call the police and get a restraining order Kent, please calm down," 

"What the hell do you think a piece of paper is going to do against that fucker Sadie? Honestly, don't be so naive!" Kent yelled at me, slamming the gun on the kitchen counter and chucking his keys to the side. "From now on, you lock all doors when you get home and if that guy ever calls you again, you call the cops and then you call me, understand?" 

"Yes," I whispered to him, wrapping my arms around his waist to feel safe once more, like I always did in his arms. 

"I'm never going to let anything happen to you Sadie, ever," 

I just nodded against his chest while he kissed the top of my head. 

But you know that feeling you get? That feeling when you know this is only the beginning, like you know something worse is going to happen? 

I have that feeling.