Chapter Twenty

Kent's POV

Sadie was raging from the other end of the phone while I tried to hurry and organize all the papers that were scattered along my desk so that I could go home. 

"I think you are overreacting, honestly," I said while Sadie was taking a breath between her freak out. The other side of the line went quiet for a moment and I knew I was in for it now. Sadie was pissed and don't get me wrong I understand why. Having Charlie around town and near us again put me on edge too but he didn't seem to want much to do with us right now. He was happy with his life so what's the big deal. 

You would think I'd be the one freaking out more than Sadie, considering I was the one he attempted to kill. 

"Are you serious Kent? Do you not understand anything I am saying to you?" Sadie yelled at me. I could only imagine how red her face was at this moment. "He's back in town! Charlie! Charlie is back in town and he touched our little girl today and I swear if I ever find out where he lives you better hide the guns,"

At that point I tuned Sadie out. When she get into this mood there is no talking sense into her. She freaks out for a couple of hours and then simmers down and thinks rationally. I knew I had nothing to worry about with this whole situation. I had bigger things on my plate other than some high school drama being dug up. 

"Babe, Richard just walked in, I'm going to have to call you back in a minute," Before I had the chance to hang up Sadie already had. Typical. 

She probably thought I was lying but this time I wasn't just trying to get off the phone. Richard had just opened the door to my office. 

"Sorry to bother you Kent, there's someone here to see you," The last time there was someone here to see me was when I got served papers being accused of sexual harassment. Richard's face wasn't showing me any signs or whether this was good or bad. 

"Alright, go ahead and send whoever it is in," I said, feeling the nerves in my neck beginning to bunch up. 

The relief that came over me when I saw Ryan walk through my office door was obvious by my loud sigh. Ryan smiled at me and took a seat in front of my desk. 

"You look so professional Kent, not something I would've pinned you down to be that's for sure," I wasn't sure to take his comment as a compliment or be offended, but I let it slide. I sat down as well.

"What brings you here today Ryan?" 

"Actually, it's Charlie," My breathing stopped, catching in my throat as I waited for Ryan to continue. Maybe Sadie was right. Ryan must've come here to tell me some bad news if he was showing up in person instead of calling or even texting. "I just got off the phone with him and he is extremely upset,"

"Why's that?" I asked carefully, still curious to where this conversation was heading. 

"He ran into Sadie at the grocery store and said she acted so rude towards him. He is baffled really, doesn't know what to do," Ryan said, concern covering his face. I let out another sigh. "I understand there are hard feelings still but that was also so many years ago,"

"I'm working on it with Sadie, Ryan. Trust me it's going to take a long time for anything to feel normal with Charlie around. What he did was. . . unforgivable," Even though I had pushed what had happened aside that didn't mean I have forgiven Charlie. I simply had other things to worry about in my life than what Charlie was doing at the moment. 

"I strongly disagree with you Kent," Ryan's tone was stiff, instead of concern he now showed anger. "Charlie has suffered for what he did, trust me I know of all people what he went through. He's gone through years and years of counseling, which he still attends to this very day. He's on the right medication and I am there to make sure he's taking his pills every morning,"

"I'm not saying Charlie hasn't changed or doesn't regret what he did but what I am saying-"

"What you're saying is that my boyfriend is some monster. Well he's not. He was lost back then and just a kid. He's a man now and has his head on right," Ryan would defend Charlie to the end of the earth and back, there's no denying that. So there's also no point with me arguing with him either when I could be getting home to my wife and daughter. 

"Ryan, I'm sure you didn't come here to argue with me. I'm not saying anything bad about Charlie, what happened is done and over with. All I'm saying is that you two need to give us time, especially Sadie. It just takes time to get over these things, that's all," 

Ryan stared into my eyes for a moment and then looked down at his hands.

"And all we're asking is for forgiveness," Ryan looked up at me and smiled now, the tension of the conversation melting away. "We just want to mend the relationships that were broken," 

"Just give it time," With what he needed to say out now Ryan stood and held out his hand for me to shake. It was awkward, Ryan and I were never that close to begin with but he was always a cool guy back then. 

"I'll see you around then Agather," Ryan winked at me, in a non-weird way I think, and then left.

I have to say that might've been one of the weirdest 'meetings' I've had in this office so far. I decided to shrug it off, what was there to worry about? 

With the clock hitting 5 and most of my paperwork sorted out, I grabbed my keys, coat and wallet and headed out of the office. It felt good to get out of there somewhat early and I think it would help simmer Sadie's mood a little to have me home earlier than normal. 

When I walked into the house Emery ran and gave me a huge bear hug. I loved my daughter and was dreading the teenager years that were slowly creeping towards us. Good thing we'll have another kid around, to savor the younger years a bit longer. I hope it's a boy.

"Sadie, I'm home," I called out but she didn't answer. I walked over to the kitchen to find Sadie violently washing the dishes, the water on full blast and some music playing from her phone on the counter. "Sadie,"

This time she heard me and her head snapped up and turned to face me. 

"Oh, you're home early," She said, her voice not showing the anger than was clearly on her face. "I don't know what to make for dinner,"

I came up behind her as she turned her attention back to the dishes and hugged her, kissing the side of her next and physically feeling her relax against me. 

"Let's order takeout," When I say this Emery begins chanting "Chinese" over and over. "Well, I guess that's settled," 

Both Sadie and I laugh and before long Sadie is turning off the water and hugging me back. 

"I'm sorry for freaking out earlier, it's just that he got to me today," She sighed. I knew she would feel bad for the way she was acting sooner or later. For now I decided not to tell her about Ryan's visit, I feel as if that will only get her blood pumping more than it was before and ruin the rest of the night for the family. 

"It's already forgotten," I bent down, kissing her gently. "Who's ready for some orange chicken?"