Chapter Fifteen

Kent's POV

Richard continued rambling on and on while I shuffled through the thick stack of paperwork that sat on my desk. I swear my desk was clear a couple of hours ago. With the recent swarm of opening businesses wanting insurance, our company hadn't been still in weeks. 

"Don't forget to get a hold of that manager from Xfinity, or something like that, I can't recall his name," Richard demanded, holding the foam basketball that I always messed around with. 

"His name is Mark, and he's with Verizon," I corrected, shoving my boss's feet off of the corner of my desk and taking a seat. "What time is that meeting with the big boys?"

"Three sharp," Richard tossed the basketball to me and stood up, straightening his tie. "don't be late Agather," 

With my boss shutting the door I was finally able to breathe, nothing but peace and quiet surrounding me and I could get to work on this mountain of paperwork. 

I got my hopes up too high, before I had the chance to get through the first set of regulations my door was being opened and our receptionist was leading in some man I had never met before in my life. 

"I'm sorry Mr. Agather, he insisted," Our receptionist basically sprinted from my office, not making eye contact with me or the man. 

"Come on in, what can I help you with?" I motioned to him to take a seat but he kept his steel gaze on me and took a step up to my desk. I remained seated, waiting for him to punch me at any second. 

"Here, bastard, these are for you," He threw the papers that were in his hands at my face and continued standing there. What did this man have against me? 

I fixed the papers in my hand and quickly realized that they were court papers. 

"Good luck with that one," The man then turned and left, again leaving me alone once again. 

As if this day couldn't get any better.

Sadie was making dinner, her back facing me when I walked into the kitchen after changing out from my work clothes. For a moment I could only stand there, admiring my wife. Even after having our daughter she was in phenomenal shape and I couldn't help but want to take her to the bedroom and relieve stress. Because after I tell her this news, I doubt we'll be having sex anytime soon. 

"How was work, love?" Sadie asked without turning around, keeping her attention focused on dinner. 

"It was stressful, busy time for the office," I walked over and kissed the side of Sadie's neck. She turned gently and pecked me on the lips.

"I'm sorry to hear that babe, but tomorrow will be better," She grabbed the potatoes she had just chopped and threw them in the pot of boiling water on the stove. She seemed so positive and happy, like she had some certain glow about her. I was glad that she had been in a better mood lately, she also hadn't been riding me so hard about staying at work later. 

I didn't want to ruin things when they were going so well. 

"Look Sadie, something happened at work today that is. . . well it's pretty serious," Sadie suddenly stopped what she was doing and gave me her undivided attention. 

"You still have your job don't you?" Her face showed nothing but worry and I knew it was only going to get worse. 

"Someone came to my office today and served me with court papers," I quickly explained. Sadie's expression turned from worry to confusion. 

"Who would want to take you to court?" 

There was a pause, a moment of silence while Sadie and I just stared at each other. I didn't want to say it, if I say it out loud then it becomes true. 

Realization slowly set in and the blue eyes turned dark within seconds. 

"Do not tell me that she is taking you to court," Sadie whispered, I could basically see the anger radiating from her body. 

"Janet has filed for sexual harassment," I finally muttered out. "I need you by my side now more than I ever have,"

Sadie sighed loudly, placing her hands on the counter and looking as if she was going to burst out in tears. Honestly I was ready to burst out in tears too. 

"When is the court date?" 

"Three weeks," 

"Right around Christmas time? Who the hell does this?" Sadie said, her anger coming back now. 

"I know, she's not going to win. My boss is willing to come to court as well as some other coworkers of mine, and it would be great if you would come with me as well,"

"Of course I'll be there," Sadie reached out and pulled me towards her, hugging me tightly. "I'm not going anywhere,"

As much as I wanted to feel confident, I don't think I've ever been so terrified in my life.