Chapter Sixteen

Sadies's POV

If there was one thing I never thought I'd be doing it would have to be this. Dropping my daughter off at her grandparents while her father and I headed off to a court battle. 

Kent and I have made it through rough patches far worse than what we went through a month ago. This though. . .this was a whole new rough patch. More like a rough 20 mile road, uphill with potholes every few inches apart.

Stiff.

That was all I could gather from the atmosphere surrounding the two of us as Kent drove to the court house. We had dressed our nicest, wanting to make a good first and definitely last impression with the judge. Seeing as we wouldn't be stepping foot in another court room anytime soon.

Kent reached over and grabbed my hand in his, curling my fingers so that he could kiss the top of my wrist. Even if he had tried to muster up a smile it wouldn't have been possible. Not today.

These past few weeks had to have been the hardest and most depressing our small family had ever gone through and it wasn't even close to being over with yet.

As we pulled up to the court house in town Kent have my hand one more squeeze before parking the car and turning it off. For a few moments we sat in silence before Kent reached over and kissed me hard. It was a desperate kiss, one that was filled with fear and love at the same time. It took my breath away and when he finally drew back I knew my cheeks were rosy.

"Are you going to come in with me?" He asked, pulling down the sun visor and fixing his tie in the mirror. I glanced him over once more then turned to stare out the front window of the car.

"I think it would be better for me to stay here," it was a lie. Of course. I wanted to be there to glare at that terrible woman for what she was putting my husband through and I wanted so badly to be there when the judge rules in Kent's favor. Hopefully..  When it comes to sexual harassment charges it's tough to fight and win..especially if you are the one who was accused. Ever since Kent had broke the news to me I've been researching like mad about cases like ours. I'd say it wasn't even a 50/50 chance.

"I understand babe," he whispered and kissed me once more. "I love you Sadie,"

"I love you more, we are going to get through this," I whispered back although I don't know why we were whispering at all. Kent got out of the car and I watched him walk into the large brick building. My heart couldn't stop racing.

For an hour I sat in our car, playing on my phone and trying to stay busy. I would scroll through Facebook for a while then get bored and start doing something else on my phone, eventually going back to Facebook even though there wasn't anything new to see. With utter boredom about to take my sanity I spotted Kent emerging from the building.

I shot up straight, sitting up and keeping my eyes glued on Kent while he walked down the side walk and crossed the street. He didn't seem upset, in fact he had a certain catch to his steps. My breath caught in my throat as Kent opened his door and slid into his seat. Before I have the chance to open my mouth and ask the question that had been on my mind for the last few weeks Kent reached over, cupped the back of my neck and slammed his mouth against mine. This kiss was different than the first one, more intense and so passionate I was about ready to say screw the questions and rush home.

"Stop, Kent stop, wait," I finally got the motivation to push Kent back from me but he only leaned away a few inches so our faces were still close. His eyes were glowing. "Tell me what happened, please. I'm dying,"

Before he could answer a huge smile formed on his lips and he kissed me again, quickly this time. "She didn't even show up, they dropped everything!"

I squealed and threw my arms around Kent, the two of us laughing to the point of tears. Relief washed through my body and suddenly my bones felt like jello from exhaustion and my head was beginning to hurt.

"Her brother showed up for her actually," Kent continued to tell me the whole story as we continued driving towards home. "I guess she moved off to California with some guy she's been seeing and has cut all ties with her family. Her brother seemed extremely embarrassed in fact, telling everyone that his sister had been battling with drugs and bipolar disorder,"

As I mulled over the information I was just told Kent suddenly busted out laughing. Laughing hard. So hard he was crying as well. It was satisfying to see him unwind, in whatever way he needed to.

"What the hell is it with us and psycho, mentally ill people Sadie?" There was a hint of anger in his voice as he gripped the steering wheel and kept his eyes on the road.

"Its just our luck," I replied.

I wonder where that Missy girl even was these days. She had tried getting a hold of Kent a year after we graduated from high school. Kent blocked her number and since then we haven't heard anything. Not to mention Charlie was somewhere in town and wanting to meet up to "catch up" after such a long time.

My head pounded again and the pain was so bad I had to close my eyes. When my eyes finally closed it made everything worse, dizziness was slowly starting to consume my feelings now.

"You know, I bet Emery wouldn't mind spending the night at your parents tonight," Kent reached over and grabbed my thigh. "This calls for a celebration, a big celebration"

I couldn't help the warmth that consumed my stomach when Kent said those words and leaned in closer to kiss my cheek.

"I guess I could call them and ask," I whispered, reaching for my phone while Kent's hand slowly began creeping higher up my leg.

"Good idea, babe,"