Chapter Nineteen

Sadie's POV

I was beginning to regret volunteering to go on this field trip now. Sitting in a school bus full of kindergartners yelling was not helping the terrible headache I had woken up with. I watched Emery playing around with her friends and nearly broke down in tears with the overwhelming love I felt for my daughter. Stupid pregnancy hormones. 

In another minute the bus would be leaving and we would be heading to the kids museum. I got to be with Emery all day and a few of her friends whose parents couldn't make it. It was going to be a fun day. 

Just as the bus driver was getting ready to close the doors a man called out to wait. The voice was all too familiar. Justin and his son, Owen, rushed onto the bus at the last minute. Justin smiled and thanked the bus driver for waiting while Owen ran down the aisle to sit with his friends. 

At least I thought it was going to be a good day. 

"Is this seat taken?" Justin asked, scooting in next to me. 

"Yes," I replied coldly but Justin just smiled and ignored me. 

"How weird that we both volunteered today,"

"I wouldn't say weird, I'd consider it stalking actually," I said reaching for my phone. 

"Sadie, what did I ever do to you to deserve this?" I looked at him dumbfounded. Was he serious?

"Oh I don't know, maybe it was trying to seduce me when you know I'm married. Trying to kiss me at a school event, texting me late at night. All of those things sort of lead me to dislike you," 

Justin only laughed at what I said.

"Sadie, in all honesty, I never meant to stalk you or seduce you or anything like that," He said, truth in his voice but his eyes sparkled with mischief. 

"Then what the hell do you call all that?" I made sure to whisper so the kids didn't hear our conversation behind us. 

"If you must know, I knew you'd make a great step-mother," I was about to say something when he stopped me. "It's complicated, trust me," 

"Well explain it to me or leave," I muttered, crossing my arms. Now he had me curious. 

"My wife left me at the beginning of last year, not just me but our son too. Owen was devastated and confused. Who would put a 4 year old through that kind of confusion and hurt anyway?" The hatred he had for his ex wife was obvious by his tone. "She visited him a couple of times, for a few months and then slowly began cancelling more and more. Finally the day came when we stopped hearing from her completely. Owen didn't understand and was hurt," 

Divorce was a messy messy thing, to believe that Kent and I almost went through one hurts. To think that Emery could have gone through what Owen was going through hurt worse. 

"The counselor I was seeing told me to get out there and start dating again, but I didn't want to bring random women over to the house with Owen there and get him confused even more. When the first day of school came around Owen saw you and thought you were my wife," Justin took a deep breath. I had never seen him so serious before. "It hurt, Sadie. To see my son light up thinking that his mother was back and have his hopes crushed. It wasn't your fault and never was. At that moment I got in my head that you would be a perfect replacement. It didn't cross my mind that you're probably married and when I found out I didn't necessarily want to believe it. It was wrong of me to obsess, I understand that and I am sorry for that as well, it was wrong of me," 

Now I sighed too. Justin was right, it was a complicated situation he was in alright but that doesn't give him an excuse to come after a married woman still.