Chapter One

Sadie

"I'm gonna have to stay at work for a couple more hours, so I'll be late getting home," Kent explained to me over the phone while I sat in my car in front of my work building, getting ready to leave to go pick up Emery. "Don't wait up for me though, I probably won't be home for dinner,"

I started the car and started backing up before I replied. "Okay, that's fine,"

Kent sighed into the phone and I could picture his stressed expression in my mind. "I'm sorry baby, I want to be home with you guys but I can't right now, Richard just poured a huge amount of paper work on me that I need to finish before tomorrow morning-"

"It's fine Kent," I repeated, cutting him off. "I'll leave the leftovers in the fridge for when you get home,"

"I love you," Kent whispered, I could hear the shuffling of papers on his desk in the background.

"I love you too," I hung up the phone then and focused on driving. It was Kent's first day at his new position and already his boss, Richard, is drowning him in work. I really hope it wasn't going to be like this for the rest of his life.

I pulled up to the school and got out of the car, walking into the small elementary school that I used to go to when I was a kid. The halls looked the same, brown and gray brick with small green lockers lined up against the walls. I turned the corner towards the kindergarten room and walked in, kids were everywhere around the room, playing with blocks or Lego's and talking to one another. I saw the teacher, sitting at her desk focused on the papers sitting in front of her.

"Excuse me," I whispered walking up to her. The woman's head popped up and her eyes met mine. A smile spread across her face as she quickly stood up and stretched out her hand towards me.

"Hello, I'm Ms. Phillip, it's nice to meet you," She said as I shook her hand.

"I'm Sadie Agather, it's nice to meet you too, I'm Emery's mom," When Emery heard my voice she immediately dropped the toys that she was playing with and came running to give me a hug.

"Oh, Emery is a wonderful child, she's quite bright as well," Ms. Phillips started. "She can count higher than most of the kids and her memory is impeccable. Did you guys home school her before she came here?"

"No we didn't, she went to Preschool and stayed at her grandparents house," I explained while holding Emery in my arms as she babbled on about her day.

"She's an amazing student, it's a pleasure to have her in my class,"

"I'm so glad to hear that," I said setting Emery down and shaking Ms. Phillip's hand again. "We'll see you tomorrow then,"

"Of course, bye Emery," Ms. Phillip's waved at Emery and Emery waved back, tugging on my pants and walking towards the door, she was obviously ready to go home.

I pushed on the large and heavy oak door that swung out into the hall, only to have the door hit against something and swing back in my direction. A groan came from the other side of the door and I quickly, bu carefully opened the door again.

A man was standing in front of the door, one hand covering his nose and the other leaning against the wall.

"I am so sorry! I didn't mean to hit you, I didn't know you were behind the door," I started to babble as I watched the man before me blink his eyes a few times before making eye contact with me.

He suddenly started laughing, definitely not what I expected him to do.

"Are you okay?" I asked, looking at the man with both worry and confusion on my face.

"Yes, I'm quite alright. Although that blow hurt pretty bad, it is nothing I can't handle," He said taking his hand away from his nose which was red from the previous hit. He smiled down at me, he was tall, taller than Kent was and his eyes seemed to light up behind the glasses that he wore. He was dressed in a fancy tan suit complete with a silver tie and black shoes. He had stubble on his face but it wasn't messy, it was well kept.

"I'm so sorry," I said, smiling apologetically at the man who waved me off.

"Don't worry about it, it just makes me more tough in the end, right?" He said chuckling to himself.

"Hi, I'm Emery!" Emery suddenly piped in, for a second I had forgotten she was standing there, still clutching on to my pant leg.

"Well hello there Emery, I'm Justin, do you go to school here?" The man, Justin, asked, bending down to Emery's level.

"Yes I do! Today was my very first day you know," She said, all smiles for the stranger in front of her.

"That is so cool, my son just started his very first day today as well, his name is Owen," Justin said smiling at my daughter. "Do you know him?"

"Yes I do! Owen and I played with blocks together during free time," Emery said, beaming with happiness.

"Well it was very nice to meet you Emery, but I have to go get Owen now so we can go home," Justin said standing up and making eye contact with me again. "You must be this gorgeous little girls mother?"

"Ah, yes I am," I said sticking out my hand. "I'm Sadie Agather, Emery's mom,"

Justin reached for my hand and brought it to his mouth, planting a soft kiss to the back. "It's a pleasure to meet you Sadie,"

I smiled and felt my cheeks warm up a bit, although I shouldn't be blushing at all since Kent has kissed my hands a million times before.

"Have a great day ladies, I hope to see you two later on," With that being said Justin opened the door to the classroom and walked in, leaving Emery and I in the hallway alone.

"Alright bug, let's get home," I said grabbing Emery's hand and walking down the hallway with her.

"Mommy, I had so much fun today!" I listened to Emery tell me all about her fun and amazing first day of kindergarten while we got into the car, while we drove home and she was still talking when we walked into the house. She told me all about all of her friends that she had made and how she had played kick ball during her P.E. class. It was fun to listen to her ramble on and on, she didn't stop talking until after I had made dinner and served it to her, and even then she was talking between bites.

When it was finally time for bed I tucked Emery into her bed and kissed her forehead.

"Goodnight Em, I'll see you in the morning," I whispered, walking over to her door to turn off her lights.

"I love you mommy, don't let the bed bugs bite, they hurt," I couldn't help but chuckle quietly while I shut her door and walked towards our room. She really was an amazing child.

I got changed into my PJ's and climbed into bed, really missing Kent who would usually be here to snuggle up with me and ask me about my day but he wasn't there. He was still at the office working on his paperwork from today.

It was already 9:00 and Kent wasn't home, he should've told me what time I should expect him home at least.

Finally I drifted off to sleep just to be woken up by Kent crawling into bed, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me towards him so my back was against his stomach and chest.

"I love you Sadie," He whispered, kissing my cheek before settling down into bed.

I pretended to be asleep and I didn't respond, staring into the dark room and wondering about everything that had happened today. New jobs for Kent and I, first day of school for Emery, not to mention I probably broke that poor mans nose today. I thought I had finally gotten used to the idea of living at home again, but I guess there was a lot more things that we still needed to get used to.