Chapter Nine

Sadie's POV

My sad attempt at covering my puffy eyes, from hours of crying last night and no sleep, was shattered when my mom walked into the coffee shop and demanded that I take my sunglasses off because it was "rude" to wear them inside.

"What is the matter with you?" My mom's face turned from a stern expression to a worried one when she took a good look at me and noticed my eyes and red nose. I had no reason to be crying so much like a baby, but Kent and I had never had such a serious fight before. He had never left the house for the whole night like that.

"Kent and I . . .I just don't think we're meant for each other anymore," I finally responded, when I knew that my voice would hold out for a whole sentence without breaking.

My mom reached out and caressed one of my hands that sat on the table in front of her.

"Sweetheart everyone who is married goes through this, it's normal. Your father and I have gone through rough patches, it's just something that you have to work through. Together,"

"That's the problem mom, Kent and I can't seem to do anything together," I said. The guy that worked at the small cafe walked over and set my coffee down on my wooden coaster and took my mom's order before he left to go brew her coffee. "I regret moving back here, that's when everything changed,"

"Oh honey don't say that, I love having you guys around, especially having my little Emery around, she's such a doll," I couldn't help but smile when my mom said that, I knew she loved Emery so much and it would kill her if we happened to move away.

"What do I do mom? I don't know how to fix this,"

"Why don't you try going to a counselor?"

"I could never get Kent to go to a counselor," The guy came back and set my mom's coffee down on her own wooden coaster. I took this chance to take a sip from the coffee I had been brought.

"You don't know until you try. There is this thing though honey, it's a special retreat for couples and it helps strengthen their relationships," My mom reached into her phone and pulled out her phone. She began looking through something on her phone for a couple of minutes before she turned the screen towards me.

A WEEKEND TO REMEMBER was on her screen with a cliche picture of a couple walking on the beach.

"Never heard of it," I replied, reaching for her phone and reading the fine print.

"It's supposed to be a very good retreat for couples who've hit a rough patch. Many of your father and I's friends have gone there and they come back looking like they're teenagers in love for the first time again,"

The retreat was held in California annually, it started on Friday at noon and went until Sunday at 11 in the morning.

"Can you get me a flyer for this? I think I'll show Kent this," I said, feeling a spark of hope light in my chest. Maybe this would be our turn around point, maybe we'd get back on track and be reminded of why we fell in love in the first place.

"Oh I'm sure one of my friends has one or two around their house," My mom said smiling and squeezing my hand in reassurance before drinking more of her coffee.

We spent two more hours in the cafe talking, it was nice. I had never had a very good relationship with my mom before but being able to sit and talk to her about everything was the most amazing feeling ever.

The two of us stood and walked out of the small cafe. Before I had the chance to hug my mom goodbye someone ran into me from behind, forcing me to lurch forward, nearly running over my mom but catching my balance just in time.