Chapter Five

Sadie

I glanced at the clock one more time before putting in my other earring. It was 5:45, I had to leave in 15 minutes and Kent still wasn't home from work. I could hear Emery in her room singing to her Barbies, ready to leave whenever I was. I had called Kent three times already but he hadn't answered every time and I could feel my anger rising.

I finally stopped fiddling with my hair and grabbed my purse and phone off of the counter in the bathroom, walking out of my room and poking my head into Emery's.

"You ready love?" I asked her while he head snapped up to look at me, obviously startled by my sudden appearance.

"Sure mommy," She said dropping her dolls and rushing to hug my legs. I couldn't help but smile, my daughter was my life.

"Alright, put your Barbies away and we'll get going,"

"Okay!" Emery turned away from me and started throwing her dolls into her bucket while I walked into the kitchen to grab my keys off of the counter.

Emery was by my side in less than two minutes and we were heading towards the door when the front door suddenly swung open and Kent strutted through, looking pleased with himself.

"And where have you been?" I asked crossing my arms. Kent smiled at me but when he realized I wasn't happy the smile quickly faded away.

"I got stuck at the office babe, come on you have got to stop giving me so much crap for coming home late," Kent groaned while bending down and kissing our daughter on the cheek. "I'm right on time it looks like so let's go. We'll take my car,"

With that being said he turned on his heels and walked out of the house, Emery following quickly behind him. I rolled my eyes, dropped my keys on the little table next to the door and locked the door on my way out. Kent was buckling Emery into her car seat, even though she could do it herself but her daddy loved to spoil her, and then jumped in the front seat.

"Why don't we just skip this thing and go out to dinner and a movie or something?" Kent asked, one hand on the steering wheel one hand grasping mine. In a way I felt like I should say yes and ditch the fundraiser but I knew I couldn'd do that.

"We can't, I already told them I'd be there to help," I said with a sigh. Kent squeezed my hand and looked over at me quickly.

"Don't worry about it, it'll be fun,"

The rest of the ride to the school was filled with Emery informing us about how she did NOT like this boy named Joseph in her class and how he tried to wipe his booger on her one day and she had hit him for it then had to sit on time-out. Our daughter rambled on and on about school and how annoying the boys were and how she was never going to grow up, she was going to live with us forever. When we pulled up to the school Emery jumped out and lead us to the gym where there were all sorts of booths set up everywhere, food booths and game booths. Emery instantly disappeared with one of her friends so Kent and I were left alone to find the face painting booth. We found it in less than five minutes, Justin was there showing a little girl pictures of what she could get painted on her face when we walked up.

"Ah Sadie! So good to see you," Justin said with a huge smile lighting up his face while he embraced me in a tight hug. I could feel Kent tense up next to me while Justin did that. Then he pulled away and looked at Kent. "This must be your husband,"

"Oh, yes! Sorry, Justin this is my husband Kent, Kent this is Justin," I introduced the two while they shook hands briefly.

"Pleasure," Kent said smiling, but it was a completely fake smile I could tell. Justin smiled back.