Chapter Two

Sadie

I stared out the window from the fifth floor of the building down at the traffic buzzing by below me. I heard the whistling from the hot water in the coffee pot on the stove in the Staff room, but I ignored it. My mind was full with my own thoughts at the moment.

Kent hadn't been home before 10 at night all week, since Monday. It was Friday afternoon and I was hoping that Kent would be home by at least 8 so we could have a late dinner as a family and fall asleep together. The odds were against me on this one. I knew deep down that Kent was working very hard at his new position at work and I was happy for him, I really was, but at the same time I couldn't help but be angry that he had gotten this promotion. No doubt that the money would help us significantly, but that wasn't worth losing my husband to his job.

I was snapped back to reality when my new co-worker, Jennifer, walked into the room and cleared her throat.

"Are you gonna get that, or let it explode?" She asked with a chuckle while she moved the boiling pot off of the hot burner. I turned back towards the small kitchen in the room and gave Jennifer a small smile.

"Sorry," I muttered, walking over and grabbing the pot's handle to poor some coffee into my mug.

"A lot on your mind today?" Jennifer asked, looking genuinley concerned about me. I had just only met her on Monday and already she was acting like we were best friends.

"You have no idea," I said, laughing slightly so I wouldn't offend her. Jennifer laughed as well and placed her hand on my arm.

"Well if you ever need me, I'll be right down the hall okay?" She said. I nodded and she smiled once more before leaving the room with a muffin from the basket on the counter in her hand.

The day drug by, every minute seeming like an hour to me, before finally it was time to clock out and head to the school to pick up my daughter.

I pulled up to the school about 20 minutes later and walked to Emery's classroom, like I did every day, to pick her up. She was in the same spot every day, playing with whatever toys were around her, but she was always sitting in the corner of the room, right by the large stuffed animal Dog that was taller than her. It must be her favorite place, since she loved dogs.

"Hello Mrs. Agather," Ms. Phillips greeted me. "Emery your mother is here,"

Emery shot up from where she was sitting and ran over to me. I scooped her up in a big hug and held her against my hip.

"I really hope to see you at Parent's night tomorrow," Ms. Phillips said before I had the chance to turn around and walk out of the room.

"Parent's night?" I questioned her. I hadn't heard anything about it.

"Oh yes, it's tomorrow night at 7. Parent's from every grade are welcome to come into their kids' classrooms and the teacher will tell you all about what they have planned for this year and answer any questions you have. We really encourage all parents to come, it just gives them a better understanding on everything, you know?" Ms. Phillips ranted on for a bit about how excited she was about parent's night and how she hoped that I could make it.

"I'm sure Kent and I can make it tomorrow," I said smiling at Ms. Phillips who smiled back, obviously pleased by my response.

"That's great. I can't wait to see you and Mr. Agather here," She said, clasping her hands together. Emery and I both said our goodbyes before heading out of the classroom.

We drove home like every other day, Emery would be babbling on in the back seat about what she had done that day and I would be half listening and half zoning out, completely tuckered out from work.