Chapter Twelve-Pt.1

Sadie's POV:

With the last of the luggage packed tight in the back of Kent's car it was safe to say that we were finally ready to head out for a weekend get away. A last chance to make everything better again, to put security back into our marriage. 

My parents and Emery stood at the front door of their house and waved goodbye while Kent shifted the car into reverse and we headed out of town. I had turned off my phone so that I would have no run ins with Justin during the weekend and Kent's phone was only on in case my parents needed to reach us, he had promised me he would ignore all work calls. Plus he had told his boss that he wouldn't have any cell service, so I was definitely crossing my fingers that they wouldn't call. 

"Hey," Kent broke through my thoughts and placed his hand on my thigh, his other hand steering. "don't worry about our baby, she's going to be fine and have a blast with your parents,"

"I'm not worried about Em necessarily, although we haven't been away from her for longer than one night since she was 6 months old," For some reason I had to look out the window, not at Kent, maybe the spark was actually dying and Kent and I just weren't meant to be. 

"It's what we need... it's going to be fun love, trust me," Kent grabbed my hand and kissed it. Then again maybe the spark could still be saved. 

We arrived at the airport, unloaded the car, went through security and boarded the plane in less than an hour. Kent and I barely talked the whole trip to California and before I knew it we were landing and heading to the resort where the retreat would be held. 

"Wow, look at this room!" Kent gushed over the fancy room as soon as he opened the door. It was a gorgeous room. The ruby red sheets on our king size bed seemed to be glowing in the soft light of the room, there were roses in a beautiful crystal vase on the cherry oak dresser and a huge flat screen TV was mounted on the wall. "Babe, come look at this view," 

"Hang on, I have to use the bathroom," I halfheartedly smiled at Kent who was gazing out the window and disappeared into the bathroom. It was just as fancy as the rest of the room. A huge claw-foot bathtub was in the center of the room and a walk in shower was on the opposite corner from the toilet. There were tiny shampoo bottles and wrapped soap next to both sinks on the counter. I placed both of my hands on the counter and stared at myself in the large mirror. I had definitely aged, the wrinkles on my face were beginning to become more noticeable and my eyes didn't have the glow they used to have. I hated how the first thing I thought of when I saw the king size bed was that I had plenty of room to be comfortable and not touch Kent at the same time. I was a horrible wife and I hadn't even cheated on him. 

"Sadie, sweetheart, doesn't that meeting thing start in like 10 minutes?" Kent's voice came through the door and I glanced at my wrist watch. Actually it started in five minutes. I shook off the feelings that were weighing me down and quickly opened the door so that we could head down to the first meeting of this weekend that was supposed to help us save this marriage. 

The rest of the resort was just as beautiful as our room, extravagant fixtures and unnecessary statues thrown around everywhere. When we reached the room we were supposed to be in I was surprised to see just how many people were here. Hundreds of couples were already sitting in their seats, listening to the speaker of the retreat explain exactly why we all were here and what to expect from this program. Kent and I took our seats, trying not to disturb too many people, but failing when Kent tripped over someone's chair and nearly took me down with him. My cheeks burned while I helped him get back to his feet and sit in our chairs. During the presentation we held hands but I couldn't wait to get out of this crowded room, not to mention it was getting hot in there as well. Finally, two hours later, we were dismissed to go to our counseling session before we got to go to dinner.