Before the Curtains Rise

Start from the beginning

Rudinn was holding onto a Head Hathy's tentacle and was happily chatting to them. The Head Hathy had their head turned away and was blushing heavily. Your eyes softened a little bit when you looked at them. They seem to be having a good time on their date. Good for Rudinn

Despite, the cuteness of Rudinns date, you frowned deeply and narrowed your eyes at the crowd. You shudder thinking about standing in that line. The absolute suffocation you'd feel being surrounded by so many other darkners. It would be so easy for a darkner to accidentally hit you with their arm or something as well... Nope, you can't handle that. Looking closer at the scene it appears that the doors are open in the front. And the theater staff are already letting darkners inside. Your eyes widen, the show starts in about two hours! And they are already letting darkners sit down.

God, just your luck isn't it! Of course, nothing ever goes like how you wanted it. Even better, glancing at the crowd you can see that none of them have VIP tickets. What are you supposed to do to get inside? Were you supposed to just get in the normal line or are you supposed to come back later to be seated? The possibilities were endless and infuriating.

You slap your head against the guard rail of the stairs. Your cranium caused the poor unsuspecting metal rail to crumple like a candy wrapper. You glare at the no longer usable railing, were you getting weaker? This wreckage wasn't up to your usual standards of strength...

You know what screw it! You're going back to your room. You'll come back out here when the show starts in like thirty minutes. Maybe then, the line will clear out. And you would finally feel comfortable with asking one of the theater staff your questions. You stomp back up the stairs.

Your trek back to your room had a much different tone then your trip down to the theater. The air felt incredibly thick. So thick that you could cut it with a knife. It was unbearably quiet, you could hear your very soul beating inside of you. As you climb up your third set of stairs, you can feel a knot grow in your stomach.

Something wasn't right.

It was cold and unwelcoming like you were walking into a predators domain as its primary prey. You felt like you were the first darkner shown in a horror movie. You know the one that always dies! Perhaps, you actually miss seeing the other darkners in the hallways.

A breathy whisper sounds from right behind you, freezing you in place.

You nervously glance down at the steps below you, praying that Rudinn and Seam would mourn for you if you were killed. The only thing there was the dead, cold air that surrounds you. You should go back down to the theater. At least there if you die there will be witnesses.

A puff of hot air brushes itself across your neck, then another, then another, then another...

Your soul was beating faster than it ever had before, your eyes widen as large as dinner plates.

Someone was breathing on your neck.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE!

Dropping your book, You immediately plunge down the stairs, angling yourself so that you hit the third floor instead of the stairs. You fell onto the castle floor on your stomach, completely undamaged from your fall. Of course, it wasn't like a drop that small would be able to lower your hp You glance over your shoulder to see who the hell was going to eat your goddamn knuckles. But when you looked up there was no darkner there.

Your angry, terrified face got switched out for a look of befuddlement. Did that really happen? Or did you just imagine that? Your eyes narrow.