13: Requiem for a Welterweight

Start from the beginning

I shrug. "A few days after they created the Pretty Poison. I helped Cheryl make payments and stuff for the jackets." I tell him. He nods, sighing.

"I'll make this right." He says.

Veronica calls me in a panic, telling me Gladys's new threats. So right after school, we rush back to the Pembrooke to start the so called mission.

I slowly walk in behind my sister, Hiram looking at me with wide eyes as a woman with blonde hair sits in a chair. My eyes widen in shock. Who is this woman?

"Mijas," Hiram coughs awkwardly. "This is Bethany Smith." He says as the woman stands. "Beth, this is Veronica and Emilia, my two girls I was talking about."

The Bethany woman sighs. "They both look so beautiful." She grazes my cheek with her hand, causing me to flinch. With a sigh, she looks back at my father. "I should get going." She hums. With a swift walk out of the room, Veronica and I give an equally confused look before turning back to Hiram.

He gives a mere shrug, turning away. "Do you two want a drink?" He asks, getting three glasses out. He pours them as Veronica sits in the chair across from him, I sitting on the arm of her chair.

"We're worried about you, Daddy." Veronica begins. My heart begins to race. Gladys was going to ruin the only family I have if this doesnt go well. Why?  What will she get out of it? "About our family, which has only just been completed." My sister continues.

Hiram gives a confused look and I play with my hands, looking down. "We know you were dealing drugs." I say with an awkward tone. "But the equipment you used to manufacture them, it's all gone." I think about Veronica and I, planning it out before she disposed of the fizzle rocks. My heart races as I pick at the red acrylic nail on my thumb.

"You have an opputunity to go clean, to build a New Empire-"

"No." He replies. He looks between the two of us. "What kind of oppurtunity were you thinking?"

Veronica shuffles in her seat, already having a quick reply. "Refocus on your prison. Get it back on track."

My green eyes widen in a pleading way. "You can fill the cells with criminals and make more money imprisoning drug dealers than supplying them. And it's legal." My heart pumps out of my chest. This had to work. It had to.

Hiram smirks. "That's good," Veronica and I share a look, both of us taking a sip of our rum. "but you're thinking too small." I freeze, raising a brow at my father. "Here's what I'm thinking instead, Penny Peabody used the Ghoulies to manufacture, distribute, and sell...candy." He says awkwardly. "Now that shes MIA, her gang is... Well, it's leaderless, up for grabs. If I gain control of the Ghoulies, I regain control of the trade." Veronica and I share a sad look, and I awkwardly shift in my seat.

I walk into Pops, Toni bumping right into me. "Oh, Hey TT." I say, a smile on my face.

"Hey, E." She sighs. "Be careful, Jugheads a little rough." She mutters, walking out of The Diner.

I frown, looking back at Jughead who sits in a booth. I walk over, sliding to where Toni once sat. "Hey, Jones." I chirp. "I can guess that sucked."

He chuckles. "You think?" He sighs. He fiddles with his hat, shaking his head. "Toni won't come back, meaning Im going to keep losing numbers as we speak."

"Why do you care so much about numbers We're a family, not a military force." I reply.

"Whether I like it or not, the numbers matter. Em." He tells me. He lets out another sigh.

I purse my lips, pulling out fifty dollars. I slide it on the table, peering up at my best friend. "Buy yourself some food, I'll figure something out." I say.

Jughead chuckles, putting the cash between his fingers. "What would I do without you, Emilia Blossom?"

I smirk, shrugging. "You'd die."

I spend the rest of the day at Pops, helping V, having small talk with everyone. Fangs and Pea come to eat dinner that night, bringing Tori along too. Sweet Pea kisses my lips, heading out to start the car while I put on my jacket and zip up Tori's mini serpent sweatshirt.

"Hey, hey, hey!" I hear. I start to hear grunts and shouts and I furrow my brows.

I look over to Pop. "Keep an eye on Victoria." I say, rushing outside. My eyes widen in shock when I see The Pretty Poisons beating up Sweet Pea and Fangs.

Cheryl watching.

I shove my sister aside, my face red with anger. "What the hell, Cheryl!" I scream. I reach into the group, yanking girls left and right. They attempt to get a hold of me, but I slide out of the way.

When Cheryl realizes I'm not gonna quit, she calls them off. "Let's go!" She shouts, the Pretty Poisons piling in their cars. I kneel down, touching Peas face, who's groaning in pain.

I shoot my head up to see Cheryl walking away. "Cheryl!" I scream, stomping towards her. She turns around with a bored face and I slap her. She gasps in shock, cupping her cheek with her hand.

"What the hell, Emmy?" She gawks at me.

"You put my family and my child in danger. What would have happened if Pea had brought Tori with him?" I snap. "You put your own sister in danger!"

She rolls her eyes. "I was giving your boyfriend a message." She retorts.

My eyes glare at her. "Just remember, sister, you just lost your sister. I hope you're proud."

And I storm back to my real family.

___________________

oops