Chris Evans x Reader

Dedicated to Mrs_Scamander

   Y/N'S POV

  Today, my best friend, Nic, decided it would be a good idea to take me shopping for a couple of hours. While Chris was out with his Avengers crew, Nic took that as the perfect opportunity to get me out of the house. Every day it seemed harder and harder to want to do anything. Chris noticed it, but he never cornered me about it. I felt it may have been how I kept ended up spending so much time with Nic, while Chris was away. Maybe it was planned, but I was grateful to have someone looking out for me.

  "I hate all of these dresses, Nic. Let's try another store."

  Nic rolled his eyes and said,"You didn't even try any of them on or look at them. Come on, Y/N. Can you at least try on one for me? Please?"

  I gave in and huffed saying,"Fine, but you owe me Starbucks."

  Nic smiled and handed me a couple of dresses, before I waited in line to get into the dressing room. Nic sat down in the waiting area, as I headed into one of the small rooms. I could barely move in it, but I needed to try on something.
  I decided to go with the F/C dress and the pattern on it immediately drained my mood. It was the exact same pattern that I had painted for my baby girl's wall..the baby girl that didn't make it into this world.

  My hands began to shake yet I did my best to get into the dress.

  When I walked out to show Nic, he smiled and said,"You look great, honey! I love it! Let's get a picture for Captain America!"

  I gave him my best smile and he asked me,"What's wrong?"

  I motioned to the dress and slowly it hit him. He nodded and got up, taking my hands.

  He reassured to me,"You can't keep holding onto that, love. Now, you've been doing good these last few weeks. I know it was very painful and I could never understand, but she is in a better place and you never know when God may bring you another. Now, go and try on some more dresses!"

  He gently pushed me forward, and I saw him send the picture to Chris. I took a deep breath and did my best to stay positive. I could be positive and have a good day.. It turned out shopping with Nic was a good distraction, but it looked like many women wanted his attention.

  I took his hand, so I wouldn't have to deal with anyone ruining my shopping day with my best friend. When we made it to the house, Nic helped me put up my new dresses before he left for work. I made sure to thank him before he left.

  I was alone for about an hour before there was a knock on the door. I looked through the hole and my face lit up. I opened the door and jumped into Chris' arms, squeezing him tightly.

  He laughed saying,"Hi, Y/N. May I come in?"

  I stepped aside, and he took my hand leading me to the couch.

  He sat me down in his lap and asked me,"How was shopping with Nic?"

  "Good. I actually enjoyed his company."

  Chris rubbed my side saying,"Uh huh. You always enjoy his company. You two look out for one another. It's why I trust him. You've needed a best friend.."

  I said,"Chris, I-"

  He shook his head and made me face him saying,"I've noticed you've been up and down for a while. I knew if I wasn't around, Nic was what you needed. When I am with you, I can feel that sadness radiating off of you. You're terrible at hiding things from me."

  I looked him in the eyes saying,"Thank you, Cap, for taking care of me. I just want you to know that I'm trying to move on past what happened. I know it affects you too."

  He kissed my hand and replied,"It does, and I appreciate you trying. I'm trying, too. By the way, I got you something."

  I got off his lap and he went outside, before he returned with a bouquet of orchids, which were my favorite flowers.

   He walked up to me and said,"Mrs. Evans, will you do me the honor of joining me for a picnic tomorrow afternoon and maybe a walk after?"

  A few tears fell down my face and I took the bouquet saying,"Captain, it would be my pleasure."

  He sent me that charming smile of his and pulled me in for a hug, being careful not to break my flowers he bought for me.

  I returned the hug and said,"Evans?"

  "Yes?"

  "Do you think that maybe we could try again another day? It doesn't have to be anytime soon. I know you're busy."

  "Never too busy to make you happy. Yes, we can. If that's what you want, then I am more than happy to make it happen."