Chapter 36

March 12th

Cheryl's meeting had gone amazing two days ago. Her agent and his team along with Cheryl had decided on a very promising publisher. She had signed the contract that they had offered her. In about two months, everything would start for her.

Toni had prepared a file and a whole presentation for the famous David Gatsby. She was so stressed but she had a really good support system. Both Cheryl and Celeste were there for her and helping her pick everything. She was in a room getting ready when Cheryl walked in.

"I just wanted to wish you good luck, even though you won't need it."-Cheryl said, kissing her on the cheek.

"Don't be so sure about that."-Toni said.

"I didn't lie when I told David that I may have found his new star. I think you're one of the best he's ever had. And he doesn't even know yet."-Cheryl smiled.

At that moment, Celeste walked in.

"Hey, how are we feeling?"-she asked Toni.

"Good, I just wish I'd stop shaking."-Toni said.

"No need to be stressed, you're amazing. He's the lucky one in this whole thing."-Celeste said, holding her hand.

Toni and Cheryl smiled at her.

"Toni Topaz! Mr. Gatsby is ready for you."-the secretary said when she entered the room.

"Knock 'em dead, babe."-Cheryl said, kissing her.

"I'm so proud of you, honey."-Celeste said, hugging her tight.

"Thank you, mom."-Toni said.

That was the first time Toni had called her that. They looked at each-other for a second, both smiling.

"We'll be here waiting for you."-Celeste said.

When Toni left the room, Celeste turned to Cheryl.

"Did you hear that?"-she asked, smiling.

"I certainly did."-Cheryl said, happy.

"I think she's finally coming around."-Celeste said.

"She's been coming around the idea for a while now."-Cheryl said.

Toni went in, introducing herself and her work to Gatsby. He was the most fashionable man, his office walls were covered with magazine's of famous models and celebrities.

"You are an original, there's no way in denying it."-Gatsby said, going through photos.

"Thank you, I really appreciate it."-Toni said.

"You know how to capture the essence and your pictures tell stories. I don't know how but they do. That's exactly what we need. To show the world something beyond beauty and perfection."-Gatsby said. "We need to start showing the vulnerability of celebrities and models."

"That's usually what I go for. I think pictures have the potential to say things without using words."-Toni said.

"Are you in my mind? 'Cause that's what I was thinking."-Gatsby laughed.

"I guess great minds think alike."-Toni said.

David Gatsby admired Toni's confidence. She had already put herself in the same spot as him. Others might have acted entitled and found that offensive but not him. He knew real talent when he'd run into it.

"I would love it if you'd join my team, Miss Topaz."-he said. "Do you think that you'll be able to stay in New York for a while? We can't offer you a contract right away. There is work that needs to be done and you need to be here for all of it."

"Yes, yes definitely."-Toni said. "Thank you so much. I'm honored."

"So am I. You will be in charge of all the interns for a while, and look at how everything goes down. With that, I'm gonna be testing your leader's position, if you're able to take it in. After that's over, I will be testing you for a few days and bring my finest models. You will be left to work with them, show me what you really can bring to the table."-Gatsby said. "But don't forget, Miss Topaz, I will be judging you every step of the way."

"Of course. I can't wait. Thank you again."-Toni said, shaking his hand.

Toni opened the door to leave the office. Cheryl and Celeste both got up from their seats, waiting to hear what had happened.

"So?"-Cheryl asked.

Toni just smiled big and nodded.

"Yes, oh my god!"-Cheryl said, hugging her. "I told you he's going to love you."

"That's so good, baby."-Celeste said, hugging her again. "Let's go. I want to take you ladies to dinner."

If it's true what they say, that pain can turn into strength, and you have the chance to make the best out of a bad situation, leave it to Toni and Cheryl to do so. Both of them had taken their traumatic experiences and turned them into something beautiful. Something that would leave a mark in the world. Forever.