Chapter 28

The next few days were full of tension between Cheryl and Toni. They wouldn't talk that much. Cheryl was still not over what had happened. She was still mad over Toni not trusting her. But she thought that if she'd bring it up, they would have a fight, again. She was too afraid of losing Toni so she would avoid any confrontation. Toni wanted to talk the next morning after the argument but Cheryl told her that she didn't want to talk about it and that it was fine. But it wasn't. While Toni was at work, she'd keep imagining Peach being all over her. Then she'd get mad and put her focus on writing or she'd have her friends over at their place.

Toni was distracted and stressed as well. She felt like she was looking at her relationship fall apart. Cheryl was being impossible to communicate with and at this point, she didn't even know what to do anymore.

"Toni, can you hand me that envelope?"-Peach said to her.

They were in Toni's office, getting some delivery ready. Toni didn't hear her.

"Toni."-Peach said, louder this time.

"Yeah?"-Toni looked at her.

"What's up with you lately?"-Peach said.

"Nothing."-Toni said, handing her the envelope.

"I know you. Your head's been all over the place."-Peach said, sitting close to her. "You can talk to me."

Toni took a deep breath.

"Cheryl and I are in a bad place right now. We had our first fight and I feel like we're not finding the way around it."-Toni said. "She's barely talking to me."

"Look, you shouldn't spend every second thinking about fixing this. If she's not talking, maybe she doesn't want to fix it in the first place."-Peach tried to get in Toni's head.

"No, it's not that. We're just....things are a little intense right now."-Toni said.

"Maybe you should start to let her go. You shouldn't be sad in a relationship."-Peach said.

Toni looked at her and then Peach slowly leaned in for a kiss.

"What are you doing?"-Toni said, getting up.

"I'm trying to show you that you deserve better."-Peach said.

Toni looked at her angry.

"Oh my god. Cheryl was right."-Toni said. "I'm so stupid. I can't believe I didn't see it."

"Cheryl is not for you. She's a real bitch and you're so much better. I think that that's what you should be seeing."-Peach said, getting up herself.

"Just stop talking. If she was a bitch to you, you gave her a reason."-Toni said. "I trusted you."

Toni started gathering her stuff.

"What are you doing?"-Peach said.

"I'm leaving."-Toni said.

"You don't need to make a big deal out of this, c'mon."-Peach said, rubbing her forehead.

"I don't need to make a big deal? You're the reason Cheryl and I are fighting. I put you and this work above her and for what? What were you even thinking, that i'd cheat on her? Or that we'd fight and I'd run to you?"-Toni said.

Peach didn't talk, she just stood there. Toni got her stuff and started to leave the office. She stopped at the door.

"Just tell me one thing. Did you hire me because you liked me or because of my work?"-Toni said.

"I think you're talented, Toni."-Peach simply said.

Toni left and rushed home. Cheryl was sitting at her desk and she heard Toni come in so she got up.

"Hey."-Cheryl said. "What's wrong?"

She could see that Toni was nearly crying.

"I just quit my job."-Toni said.

"Toni, I-"-Cheryl said, walking away. "I don't want you to quit your job, I was angry."

"No, you were right. I should've trusted you. Peach made a move on me today."-Toni said.

Cheryl turned to face her.

"She kissed you?"-Cheryl asked.

"She tried to. And then I had a fight with her."-Toni said.

Cheryl just looked at her.

"I think I didn't want to believe you because I was finally doing something that I love. I was so focused on that and building a career out of it, that I didn't see what was right in front of me. I'm so sorry."-Toni said to her. "I shouldn't have put that above your feelings. I don't ever want to do something that upsets you."

Cheryl went close to her and kissed her.

"I just needed you to trust me. Because I trust you. And I knew you wouldn't do anything with her but I just needed you to see."-Cheryl said.

"I know. But that's never gonna happen again."-Toni said, kissing her. "I don't want to lose you."

"You're not. I love you. We're gonna be okay."-Cheryl said to her, wiping a tear off her face with her thumb.

"I love you."-Toni.

Just like Cheryl said, everything was okay eventually. The storm passed. Slowly but surely. The girls were back to normal, and even better now. Now that they had been through a tough road, they were sure they never wanted to be back to it again.

Toni had some things that didn't belong to her but to Peach's shop.

"I need to take these things back. I don't think I want to go back there, ugh."-Toni said to Cheryl.

"I can give them to Kevin and have him go there. He was friendly with her, I'm sure he wouldn't mind. And this way you don't have to see Peach's face again."-Cheryl said.

"That's actually a good idea."-Toni said.

Toni was going to visit her grandfather.

"What will you be doing until I come back?"-Toni asked.

"Kevin, Fangs and the girls are coming over later. They'll probably still be here when you come back. We'll do something fun after."-Cheryl said.

"Sounds good."-Toni said.

Cheryl went to kiss her goodbye.

"Say hello to your grandpa for me, okay?"-she said.

"Will do."

Cheryl didn't plan on giving Kevin the camera equipments to send to Peach. She wanted to go there herself. But she did get Kevin to drive her there.

She entered the shop and Peach saw her. She waited until the last costumer was done and left to talk to her.

"Yes?"-Peach said, after they were alone.

"I just came to drop these off. And to tell you that if you ever try to come between me and my girl again, I will end you."-Cheryl said to her.

"I underestimated you, Cheryl."-Peach said, smiling at her.

"No, you underestimated Toni. You lost someone very talented. That's where you went wrong."-Cheryl said to her.

Peach looked at her and then offered her a check.

"Toni's payment for the last weeks."-Peach said.

Cheryl looked at her hand then looked at her again.

"Keep it. She doesn't need anything coming from you."-Cheryl said, leaving the shop.

"God bombshell, remind me to never cross you."-Kevin said to her when she got in the car.

"She won't either, trust me."-Cheryl said, smiling.