part 36

Elijah sighs as he hears Asia storm up the stairs. His stomach churned at the thought of the young child losing her only female figure in her life.

Walking to the Living room he silently watches Klaus sip away at his glass of bourbon. Klaus' eyes were watery but he quickly subdued his emotions and turned to his older brother.

"What is it you want to say?" He asks, making Elijah sigh once more his chest felt hollow seeing his brother so vulnerable.

"It seems like I'm at a loss of words Niklaus," Elijah says leaning on the door frame of the living room, with one arm propped up.

"It seems we both are, brother," Klaus takes a deep breath, "did you know Cassandra placed protection barriers and cipers in each of our rooms in case of an emergency,"

Elijah took a deep breath at the knowledge letting it sunk that his brothers mate created protection for but also invaded his privacy, "No, Niklaus I did not know," says Elijah

Klaus pulls out a wooden wolf-fox statue hybrid and places the wolf on the table, "His name is Rakkain."  The wolf stands from where it was sitting. White carvings covered Rakkain's pine hind legs, while his eyes showed a light purple. Signs of Cassandra's magic running through them. 

Elijah stares in awe, watching the wolf waltz around. "How long have you known about this?" asks Elijah. 

"Not long," answers Klaus running his fingers through his hair. "He was jumping on top of a pile of letters, each one signed to each Mikaelson and her family. Inside it tells us who the cipher is, how to use them and where they are kept. Along with what she never got to say" Klaus gets up from his seat and shows Elijah the letters. Picking the one meant for him, Elijah reads the letter.

"She made them in case of now, say if we are in danger it will come to life and defend us. And mine is apparently a dragon, that used to be a ring. Interesting," he says continuing to read the letter. 

It was filled with her goodbye and begged for forgiveness for the trouble she has caused. Plans for Asia. But most of her gratefulness to Elijah. Taking a deep breath Elijah takes a deep breath and folds the letter. 

"She has seemed to think of everything," says Elijah. "She always was one step ahead in her own way,"

"Yes, she was," mutters Klaus "all but when it came to how to save her life."

"Now Nikaus since her collapse she has been in a stable condition. And Freya is working hard to wake her up. She will be fine," he says placing a  hand on Klaus' shoulder. "I will not tell you to plan for the worst but we must at least give her time," 

Now holding his brother's hand Klaus says nothing. His face was void of emotion. He wasn't sure how much more of this he could take. Every time they seem at peace something happens, whether it is enemies, ex's, family. It's been months since the two came together. Yet they can never get peace.

First enemies, then hunted, next possessed, and now coma. 

Klaus sighed and looked at the cool glass of bourbon in front of him. Watching the ice melt as a single drop of water slides down the glasses side and hits the table. He didn't move or say anything.

Only staying silent while in his brother's company. "I never thought. I would feel this way again," he whispers. 

Elijah's eyebrows furrow in confusion. "Feel what again, brother?" 

Klaus picks up the glass of bourbon and finishes it. "Vulnerable."

Klaus stands from the couch and leaves the room with his letter in hand.