Chapter 32

Practically jumping out of his skin, Tiberius whirled around with a snarl, his feathers bristling. Gidget and Norman were about to approach him but the moment he did that, they stopped in their tracks. Standing rigid with fear, Gidget noticed that the old hawk seemed even more tired and hungry than the day before. Up close, he also appeared sick. No one moved a muscle for what seemed like centuries. Gidget was starting to think that they were dead meat.

However, Gidget's terror dissolved once Tiberius stopped snarling. Blinking his eyes, he took one look at Gidget and Norman before turning to walk away. Happy to see his friend, Norman bounded over and wrapped his paws around the hawk's leg, causing him to stop. "I missed you," the young guinea pig whispered softly. Sighing, Tiberius murmured quietly, "Missed you too little guy."

Gulping, Gidget nervously approached Tiberius, keeping her head low. Once she was a few inches away, she glanced up, afraid of what the old hawk might say. Or worse, what he might not say. "Hey Tiberius..." she mumbled, lowering her gaze to her paws. "Hi Gidget," the hawk replied softly, no anger in his voice. Surprised, Gidget couldn't help herself as she suddenly moved forward and gave her friend a warm hug. Shaking a little, she whispered, "I'm so sorry..."

"Gidget, there's no need for that," Tiberius wheezed. Looking up, Gidget saw pain flash in his eyes. Worried, she let go quickly. "I didn't hurt you, did I?" she asked, frightened. Coughing slightly, the old hawk shook his head. His right wing was covering his chest and left flank. Not convinced, Norman piped up, "Show us." Glancing at Gidget and Norman, Tiberius sighed and reluctantly moved his wing out of the way.

Gidget gasped at what she saw...