Chapter 12

"Good night boys, love you," Katie called out softly to her two canine roommates. To express how much she loved them, she gave them a blow kiss before heading into her bedroom and closing the door.

"Night Duke," Max yawned, absolutely exhausted from being at the party for so long. His head was filled with happy thoughts as the terrier recalled what a great time he had had with Gidget. His heart pounded as he pictured her fluffy white fur and sparkly sky blue eyes. He couldn't wait to see her in the morning. Just then, his thoughts of delight were interrupted when he realized that Duke hadn't replied. Max quickly looked over at his brother.

Duke seemed to be in his own world. Chin resting on his big paws, the mutt stared off into space. He was so lost in his thoughts it would appear to be impossible to get him back to reality. But Max knew what to do as he whispered very quietly, "Sausage."

"What?! Where?!" Duke exclaimed, snapping out of his thoughts and looking around frantically for the savory food. Frowning when he realized that there wasn't any sausages. He rested his chin back on his paws. Ear twitching a little, Max asked softly, "You alright Duke?"

"Yeah... good night Max!" Duke responded. Without another word, he fell asleep. Sighing, Max mumbled, "Good night Duke." As he drifted off into the world of dreams, the terrier couldn't help but wonder what his brother was thinking of...