Randy 6🖤

-|Just a warning, this gets very sad. I'm sorry about that.|-

Andy-

"Romeo, Come here please!" I called up the stairs after my five year old son.

It didn't take long before I heard pattering footsteps running down the stairs. I didn't have time to think before  little chubby arms were latched onto me and a smile was etched on my face.

"What'd you need, daddy?" His sweet little voice makes my heart melt every time.

"Do you know what day it is, bubs?" I asked Romeo, kneeling down so I was at eye level with him.

"No. Wait, yesterday you showed me the calendar, and it said it was the 23rd, so today is the 24th?" He finally said after thinking for a minute.

Romeo was an incredibly intelligent child. At the age of five he was already reading at a second grade level. He takes after his father. I guess it may be due to the fact that Rye would read to him every single day, from the day we adopted him and he was only a few months old.

"Yes, that's very good, Romeo! I'm impressed." I praised the young child, ruffling his hair lightly and practically melting when he giggled that giggle that reminds me so much of Rye's.

"You should be. I'm smart." Romeo stood tall and pointed to his head as if showing how smart he was. I chuckled.

"Yes, you are. Well, I want you to go get ready. You know what our tradition is every year on the 24th of January." I said, standing up and heading upstairs, to which I knew he would follow me.

"Ok!" I heard a happy voice before the patter of little feet ran off into a room.

I entered my own bedroom and headed to the closet. I picked out a simple ripped pair of black jeans. I then looked at my many shirts hung up, until I thought of something perfect. I left the closet and opened the top drawer. I dug to the bottom and pulled out the neatly folded pink jumper. It was Rye's favorite, and since it was his day, I thought it would be perfect to wear it.

I quickly changed and fixed my hair before standing in front of the long mirror leaning against the wall. I smiled sadly and ran my hand along the material of my jumper, bringing the sleeve up to my nose and breathing deeply. It had that all too familiar scent, sending butterflies to my stomach and a smile to my face. I could feel the tears threatening to prickle at the corners of my eyes so I turned away and cleared my throat.

"Daddy?" I heard from the doorway.

I turned around to see Romeo stood there, a blue hoodie and black jeans on, his stuffed, brown dog clutches tightly in his hands. I smiled and motioned him over, taking a seat on my bed. Once he was in front of me, I lifted him onto my lap and wrapped my arms around him.

"Do we get to go see dadda today?" Romeo looked up at me with wide eyes filled with hope. My heart was aching with so many emotions and I just wanted to hug this child so tight and never let him go.

"Yes, babe, we get to see dadda. And we're gonna bring him a surprise too, ok?" I whispered as loud as could. His eyes lit up with curiosity and wonder.

"What's the surprise gonna be?" He asked, hope filling his voice. My heart shattered and I just wanted to give him the world.

"We're gonna buy him flowers and I'm gonna take my guitar so we can sing him some songs. How does that sound?" To say that he was excited was an understatement.

Romeo was immediately off my lap, bouncing around the room like crazy. I smiled and stood up, picking the young boy up and slinging him over my shoulder. He was immediately in fits of giggles, holding on tight to the back of my jumper out of the fear of falling. I tool him out of the room and downstairs before setting him down.

"Go to the kitchen and grab some pancakes, there's a plate already made for you on the table. Uncle Jack made them so you'll have to thank him later." Romeo became even happier at this news and was off to the kitchen in a matter of seconds. I smiled after him and turned to the living room.

I walked in to see three figures on the couch. Jack and Brook sat side by side, Brook's arm securely wrapped around Jack's waist, his head resting against the taller's shoulder. Jack held their two year son, Trevor, tight against his chest as he snored lightly. I smiled fondly at them all.

"Hey, were getting ready to leave." I said softly, leaning against the doorframe.

Brook was the first to look up and he gave me a sympathetic smile. Jack soon followed, a similar look on his face as well.

"Alright. Call us if you need anything, we're always here for you." Jack said softly, patting Trevor's back lightly.

"Thank you guys, it really does mean a lot." I smiled and closed my eyes for a brief moment, sighing. I am truly great full to have the great friends that I do.

"Of course. We love you, bro." Brooklyn spoke up, shooting me warm smile.

I returned the biggest and best smile I could offer before finally leaving the room just to see Romeo standing by the door, his coat already on and shoelaces tightened.

"Someone's eager to get going I see." I said, looking down at him and slipping my own shoes and coat on before grabbing the car keys.

"I'm excited to surprise dadda!" He said enthusiastically and ran out to the car once I opened the door. I grabbed my guitar from beside the door and followed after him.

The drive to the store wasn't very eventful. We talked about random fiver year old things, like school and his little league football team. I let Romeo pick out the perfect bundle of flowers for his father and then we were off to our final destination.

I pulled up to the all too familiar green patch of land and parked the car. Romeo and I walked down the path, hand in hand, his little chubby hand grasping at the flowers, mine at the handle of my guitar case. When we came to the end, we stopped and turned to our left. Just a couple feet away, there it sat. It looked just the same as the last time I was here, although the grass wasn't quite as pretty. I sat down still on the path but facing the direction of the beautiful structure.

Romeo walked up to the stone and placed the flowers delicately in front of him. I heard his little voice speak up and I couldn't hold back the emotion anymore.

"Daddy and I got these for you. I hope you like them. I picked them out myself. I looked through old pictures of you and daddy with him a little while ago and you were wearing a shirt that matched the color of the flowers. That's my favorite picture of you and daddy because you looked at him with such love and care. I miss you a lot, dadda. I love you with all my heart, don't you ever forget that." When the little boy finished his ramble, I couldn't hold back the sob that slipped past my lips.

"Come here, Romeo." I choked out and opened my arms for him. He sat down in my lap and wrapped his arms around my neck as tight as he could. "God, he loved you so much, Rome. And I know he still does. You were his little angel." I whispered into his fluffy brown hair. He pulled away from me and wiped away my tears with the sleeve of his hoodie.

"Don't cry, daddy. Dadda loves you too. He never left, he's still right here." And with that, Romeo placed his small hand directly over my heart and held it there. I smiled widely and looked down at him, placing my hand over his and bringing the opposite one up to my lips and kissing it tenderly.

"Your right, baby. He lives in both our hearts and he forever will."

And with that, I brought my guitar out and we sang together. We were in the cemetery for a good two hours. When we both felt that we had had a good amount of time with Rye for the day, we wiped our tears and left after a goodbye. Even if he didn't live a physical life with us anymore, Romeo was right, he would always live on within our hearts.

~

-|Oh my god I'm so sorry that this is so sad. I almost cried writing this. But I had the idea and I really wanted to write it so I did. Btw, the name Romeo came from the Randy live on Sunday. Anyways, have a good night and I hope you liked this!|-