Imagine (Rye X Andy 5)

Rye-

One day.

I left the hospital after the first day. I had gone straight there after school to see him. I had sat by his side and held his hand while he talked about anything and everything, completely ignoring the fact that he was laying in a hospital bed. He never did want to acknowledge the fact that he was ill; the fact that he might not make it. He always ignored it and lived his best life possible from within the walls of the hospital.

One week.

The first week. He was still happy and smiley, still the same boy I fell in love with. It was just me and him on the seventh day. I didn't have school so I stayed by his side from sunrise to sunset. We had both been quiet that day, just holding each other's hands and looking into each others eyes and sharing occasional I love yous. It was a good day.

One month.

A month went by and you could slowly tell the sickness was starting to affect him. It tore me apart seeing everything from the bags under his eyes to the way he was getting so skinny. He was always a small kid, but not that small. His eyes were even a duller blue, but he still held my hand just as tight, rubbing his thumb along my knuckles, as always. His voice was still so gentle when he spoke and his jokes weren't any less funny. If you hadn't known what he looked like before he got sick, you would think he was completely fine and normal.

One year.

A year finally came. He was older, I was older. The doctors always tried to give us hope that he might pull through. We always held onto the thin piece of thread their words offered us, and we never let go. He never let go either. Yes, he was a lot weaker and he was exhausted and had started to let the sickness show a bit, but he was still the same old boy I had fallen for over two years ago.

"I know you don't want to hear this, but there's just nothing more we can do. The chemo isn't working and obviously the surgery didn't work either. We're running out of options, and fast. Unless a Christmas miracle happens or something, he may not have mush longer." The doctor had told us just three days before Christmas.

I had held his mum close to me as we both cried. She held onto me as if her life depended on it. I didn't blame her, I mean her son was in the hospital, running out of life to live, and she had no husband to offer support. I had wanted him to be better from the day I heard the news, but now I wanted him to pull through more than anything, and not just for me, but for his mum. He was all she had and if she lost him, she'd be lost herself. She cares so much about him, I mean he's her only child.

"Just promise me one thing, Rye," he had started one day when it was just me and him, his eyes trained on the blank wall ahead of him, his thumb running over my knuckles, "Promise you'll look after mum if...you know. If things don't work out, just please don't ever stop visiting her. Go over every now and then and make her tea, let her show you old photo albums, let her talk your ear off. Just please make sure she's happy. But also make sure your happy too. And don't wait up on me, cause you know it'll be a long time till we're reunited if...yeah. Please find love in someone new and treat them even better than do me, if that's even possible." He finished, now looking at me, his eyes watering as they searched my face for any emotion. I let a tear slip passed my eyelids and I squeezed his hand tight.

"I promise I will, baby. I'll make her tea and I'll laugh at the goofy pictures she shows me and listen to the endless stories she tells. And if I find someone to help ease my own pain, then I promise I'll treat them just as well as I do you. But none of this will be necessary because before you know it, we're gonna walk out those doors together, hand in hand, and your gonna be healthy and happy and everything's gonna be better. Please promise you won't give up on that, Andy." I replied, more tears falling, and placed my other hand overtop our already intertwined ones.

He looked between our hands and my eyes as his own cheeks were stained with many tears. He bit his lip slowly and nodded his head.

"I promise." He whispered.

I couldn't hold back any longer and I placed my fingers under his chin, guiding his soft pink lips onto my own. The kiss had so much meaning and it felt like it could last forever.

Ten years.

It's been ten years since Andy went into the hospital. The tenth Christmas. He got better within the next few months after our talk those few days before Christmas nine years ago. It truly was a Christmas miracle. And now, ten years gone, I sat in front of the fireplace with Andy by my side as we watched our son and daughter unwrap their gifts. Everything had turned out how it was supposed to be. Andy beat cancer, and we grew up through the rest of school, we got married and then we adopted our beautiful children.

"Rye?" Andy asked me cautiously, giving me a curious look. I smiled at him.

"Yeah?" I replied. He smiled and shook his head, chuckling a bit.

I wrapped my arm around his waist and pulled him closer to my side.

"I'm so glad that this is where we are. I could be dead right now, but I'm not. God had a plan. I'm meant to be here, with you, and the kids. The pieces of our puzzles are all falling together perfectly." Andy said, his eyes not leaving the kids and a smile slapped across his face. I smiled myself and kissed the top of his head, rubbing his side gently.

"They most definitely are."

~

-|oo I hate that ending. But here's a little late Christmas present for you all lol. But yeah, Merry Late Christmas! Also, this wasn't very Christmasy but oh well. Hope you like it!|-