Epilogue: We Are Gathered Here Today

"Padfoot, calm down," said James, watching as his friend paced the room furiously. "How?! I'm getting married in 15 minutes!" The stag animagus grinned. "Deja vu much?" That got a small laugh out of Sirius, who stopped fiddling with his tux. "I'm nervous..." he hissed, breathing out through his nose. James clapped him on the back. "Lighten up mate, I'm sure Remus is just as nervous as you are" Sirius snorted. "No way, he's Moony. Calm and collected"

"LILY LET GO OF ME!" shrieked Remus. Lily grunted and held on tighter. "No! You don't get to bail on your fiancee by climbing out the window" The werewolf had one leg stuck out the windowsill and was trying to get his other leg over. Tonks burst into the room and practically threw herself at Remus, dragging him none too gently through the window and depositing him on the ground. "What the HELL were you thinking Lupin?" she demanded. Remus scrambled backward and managed to jump to his feet. "I don't know?" he tried, looking for an exit. "If you decide to get cold feet, I will make it my personal mission to drag you kicking and screaming back to the altar. I think Lily would say 'I do' for you" Remus scoffed, but he was smiling. "No, she wouldn't" The redhead grinned, looking at him like he was her son. "Yes, I would" The werewolf gasped dramatically. "Traitor"

Remus huffed out a shaky breath as the music started. Peter was, once again, the flower boy and ring bearer. He gave Remus a huge smile as he bounced down the aisle, tossing Lupin petals (Yes, Lupins are real flowers) around the hall. The werewolf felt his breath catch as his soon-to-be husband walked down the aisle. Sirius, completely hating his last name, had decided to wear a white suit. Remus, in contrast, had worn a black one that contrasted neatly against his amber eyes. As Sirius moved to stand in front of his fiancee, James cleared his throat. 

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to witness my best friends finally stop being tools and marry each other" Lily looked like she didn't know whether she should smack her husband or laugh. "As Padfoot said at my wedding, I'm not going to bore you with the technical stuff so we're gonna go ahead with the vows. Peter?" The Marauder came forward with the two rings on the pillow, still grinning. "Oh I've waited for this day for literal ages!" he whispered under his breath. "Go ahead Sirius!" As Peter flounced away, Sirius took his lover's hand in his and tried to speak normally.

"When I fell for you, I fell hard and GOD did it hurt. The heir of the Black family? Marrying a dude? It's completely unheard of! But here we are right now and thank Merlin for that. I met you as this shy, little kid on the train but look at you now. Tall, nerdy, and handsome as fuck. I love you Remus, and that isn't going to change" Finishing his vow, he delicately (lol not really, his hand was trembling like a fucking earthquake) slid the golden band onto Remus' finger.  stupid New Years party we had back in fifth year. If not for that, I wouldn't be standing here right now. I really can't say much except for the fact that you accepted me for who I was, scars, insecurity, furry arse and all. That will always mean more to me than words can say, and I wouldn't trade you for all the chocolate in the world." Remus placed his own ring on Sirius' finger, ignoring Jame's side comment of "Damn, not for all the chocolate in the world? Guess Moony's pretty serious about this then"

Peter cleared his throat and glared at James pointedly. "O-oh yeah. You may now kiss the groom!" And Sirius did, with a great deal of passion. As the two walked down the aisle hand in hand as husbands, James and Peter joined them and all four left the cathedral together as brothers. Remus smiled wider than he ever had before. I can breathe now, and the rest of my life won't be spent hiding from the world. Sirius was also grinning like a maniac. I was so afraid of my family name, he thought. That's all gone now, and my past can't touch me anymore. James laughed as he skipped ahead, still humming 'Here Comes the Bride'  I've got three best friends and a woman who I will love until I die. I don't need the world, I have them. Peter joined them all in a group hug, laughing and joking and feeling lighter than ever. The war is over, everyone is happy, and the sun is rising. Who needs more than that?

At the reception, no one was really paying too much attention to the guests, instead, the five of them sat on the balcony, staring at the moon, which was barely a sliver in the sky. "I guess the sky decided to give you a wedding present Moony" murmured James as the breeze stirred his hair. Remus chuckled softly. "I suppose it did" In the distance, Canis Major winked down at them. "He was the moon, and I, the stars," said Sirius softly, twining Remus' hand with his. Peter poked him in the shoulder. "You sap" Lily smiled fondly at the four. "It'll always be like this, promise?" The Marauders looked at each other and identical smiles lit up their faces. "Promise" the echoed.

                                                                        THE END