Freak // chapter 5

Saturday 2:00 am
We made our way back up to the treehouse. Larry STILL behind to make sure I wouldn't fall.
"Sally face what the fuck just happened"
My hand covered my face as I Was a bit uncomfortable with her seeing it after everything that happened As I looked around I noticed Ashley put away her makeup.
"I.. I uh."
"Sal was just going to the bathroom"
Larry said so I wouldn't have to say anything.
"What the fuck took you guys so long?"

"I went to smoke a blunt and sal tried making popcorn"

"Popcorn sounds good"

"Yeah well I think Larry's out, pretty sure chug ate it"

I added in kind of rushed

"Shit guys it's 2:00"

He says with a yawn.

" ok so Ashley you sleep on that side and sal sleeps on that side, I'll sleep in the middle so sal can take his mask off"

I usually took my mask off to sleep but I again, didn't feel as comfortable around ash without it on, I decided it would be fine though. We all get into our sleeping bags and blanket, I took off my jacket and put on one of my sanity's fall shirts I packed, I think I stole it from Larry. My arms are riddled with band-aids, I was usually the first to wake up so it wasn't a problem that they are visible. Larry is facing me with his eyes closed. He looks so peaceful, so dreamy. It keeps me calm knowing he's right there, ready to protect me if any danger comes. Fuck why am I being so weird around him lately. I twirled a piece Of his hair between my fingers. I couldn't help but think. I still can't believe all of that happened. Larry found me in the bathroom with cuts on my arms, having a nightmare (while still being awake). I can't believe he knows. This was supposed to be my secret I looked at the scars on my arms. Some just healed, some from a year or more ago, and some still scabbed. I don't want Larry to worry about me. That's the last thing I wanted. I just want him to be happy, but he can't be happy if he knows I'm hurting. And when we ran away from the treehouse, we left Ashley all alone. This was supposed to be a fun sleepover. I should have never invited Ashley to this. I don't want her to be wondering what happened or worried about me. Oh god she saw my face. She saw my face for a long period of time. She thinks I'm ugly I know she does. All of these thoughts went racing around my head. When I finally fell asleep, I dosed off with Larry's dark brown hair still twirling between my fingers.

Im back in the bathroom, I can still hear them chanting, but it's quiet now. . It's in the back of my head. My mask is in one piece, clasps unbroken. Travis is gone. Everything is fine. I look at the clock.

12:02

I threw on my jacket and strapped on my mask. 'You are ok sal' I tell myself. My words almost made the chanting stop. The hall was empty, only trophy cases and fliers for the upcoming play, no students. After the long slightly eerie walk, I get to the doors of the cafeteria and push them open.

"Hey guys sorry I'm late" I say while I slam my things down and sit next to Larry.

"Hey freak"

I couldn't tell who said that but that word, it felt like a was being stabbed with a burning knife.

"freak freak freak"

Everyone at my table was chanting.

"Freak! Freak! Freak! Freak!"

The whole lunchroom.

I stood up, so did Ashley and Travis. They held me down and once again tore off my mask, all the while screaming "freak" at me.

That's when I saw Larry, he wasn't chanting, he was just watching. When they ripped my mask off, he had an expression one could only describe as disgust. He looked like he was about to puke. Was it because of my face?

"Freak!"

Larry? He had joined in the chanting. I felt crushed. Heartbroken.

"Freak freak freak freak! Freak! FREAK FREAK FREAK FREAK" the whole cafeteria was screaming and throwing their food at me.

I tried getting up, leaving, getting away but I didn't have the strength. Everyone's eyes turned red, staring into my soul. Tracing my flaws. I finally got the strength to get up. I ran until everything faded to white.

Saturday early morning
I woke up out of breath and sore from the running that I dreamed I did. I realized Larry was hugging me from behind. He must have seen I was having a nightmare. He always made me calm down after a nightmare, awake or not. I was getting nightmares more recently though, I used to only get them 1-2 times a week but now it seems to be every day, multiple times. Dad is right. I should probably see a doctor.

I turn around to cuddle into Larry, laying my head on his chest. I could hear his heartbeat. This was very comforting and I fell asleep very quickly.

——————————————

Sorry for the short chapter I wanted to finish the day on the day we finish the chapter.

-gearboi-