Heartbeat // chapter 1

Friday

Sally's Pov:

It's about 7:30 am and I'm walking alone because a certain stoner decided to sleep in instead of walk with me. It is alright though because when I tried waking his lazy ass up, I took his hoodie. I look around, it's very peaceful, not an uncommon thing in nockfell. Before you look into all the conspiracies and the cult shit, nockfell seems like a decent town. Although I'm sure living above the cult temple doesn't help my case.

This walk is excruciatingly boring without Larry. I try to pass the time by counting the trees and kicking rocks, nothing really helps. I notice my untied laces right before my hands hit the concrete sidewalk.

I brush off my knees and stand up, everything around is pitch black and cold, why is it so cold? I start screaming, silence whispers back at me, mocking my screams. I'm starting to panic and I'm practically hyperventilating. I collapse crying, trying to wipe the tears off of my face when I realize...

My prosthetic is gone.

Covering my face I pat the ground frantically. I can't find it anywhere. It's gone. I start screaming again.

Still. No. Sound.

"Sal?"

Who said that? Where did that come from? I can hear my heartbeat now.

"SALLY? oh my god!!"

My heart is speeding up now. It's getting louder.

Bam.

Bam.

Bam.

"SAL! SALLY FACE"

WHO KEEPS SAYING THAT

"SALLY FACE"

Bam.

Bam.

Bam.

Bam.

My heartbeat is speeding up. Quicker and quicker. Louder and louder.

BAM

BAM

BAM

BAM

BAM

"SALLY FACE WAKE UP"

My eyes shoot open.

"L-Larry face?"

I immediately start crying. I'm still on the sidewalk. I can't be more than 50 yards from the school.

"Sal Dude! I was so worried! I was walking to school and I saw you Fucking collapsed on the ground crying! Your mask was off, sal what happened?" Larry is almost crying, he seems scared shitless, which is unlike him.

"I don't know! I, I was just walking then everything went dark, I was trying to scream but.."

I started crying again. What if someone had seen me with my mask off? Larry and I have been friends for over two years and he's seen me without my mask many times. What if Travis had seen me? God only knows what he'd have done if he got ahold of my prosthetic.

"Sal, Sal it's alright! I'm here now you're fine. Everything is ok"

He wiped the tears of my scarred face and handed me my mask.

"I think the bottom strap broke when you fell"

I examined the broken latch. It was on the bottom strap so it wasn't too much of a problem. I strapped it back on by only the top strap and brushed the dirt off my ripped jeans.

"Thank you Larry's face"

"You wanna skip? I don't think you are calm enough and well, fuck school"

"Yeah!"

"We'll go to my house, my mom won't mind if I explain to her what happened. Plus she'll probably be working anyway"

"My dad would be pissed if he knew we skipped, PLEASE make sure he doesn't find out"

We walked further away from the school. I was fiddling with the strings on the hoodie Larry let me wear. He stopped me and took the lighter out of the pocket and lit a cigarette.

"You know how bad that is for you?" I roll my eyes.

We continue walking and he laughs

"Sal, you and Ashley remind me every fucking time."

"Because we care about you!" I wine

"With the number of cigarettes I smoke and alcohol I drink, I'll be surprised if I live till I'm 40," Larry tucks the pack of cigarettes and lighter back into my pocket.

"You'll die by 40, I'll probably go to jail. It's just how it be duuuuudeee" I said that last part mockingly.

"Haha. Ashley will probably go become some badass biker chic" Larry says

"Oh she'll DEFINITELY end up in a biker gang," I say

"Chug will probably end up like Charlie," Larry says with a disgusted look on his face.

"I don't know dude, I think chug and maple are gonna get together. I see the way he looks at her. It's like when he looks at a new Hershey's bar. Maple will be able to keep him, well not like Charley"

"Really? I don't see them together"

"Dude they literally always hang out, they clearly like each other"

"Ok whatever dude, at least we know Todd is the only one of us who will end up normal"

We walked the rest of the way in silence.

It was nice.

———————————————

I hope you liked the story. I'm not the best author but I'm always working on editing and I hope by writing more I will get better.

If I make a dumb grammar/ spelling mistake PLEASE correct me.
-gearboi-