Chapter Twenty Nine: Reunited at Last

Song: Young Blood by 5SOS

Thank you ElizabethBrawn for suggesting this song :)

*

Stunned silence sweeps the room, nobody daring to move, speak, or even breathe. The council seemed to be absolutely stunned at what has just happened, and a single member rose from his seat, melting the solidified stillness.

He kneels down and presses two fingers against the throat of the fallen and says nothing.

The main speaker clears his throat, not seemingly bothered by what had just happened. "Where were we?" He asks.

I nearly choke at how casually he gets back to business, as if one of his members didn't just get a bullet in his brain and is lying in a small pool of blood behind him. My own men whisper and mumble behind me at this odd occurrence.

I guess I wasn't the only one who didn't like the dead council member. I humorously think to myself.

"Uh...y-you were talking about separating territories." I say, my composure slipping.

"Ah, yes, that's right. Yes, I was thinking of having divided territories where the separate species can only cross into the opposite territories if they seek permission from their council. A peace treaty as well as a form of constitution will be signed in order to affirm peace amongst the two. If the vampires do end up breaking peace, we have the necessary materials needed to put them back into slavery, and you will be executed for risking the life of our people." He says.

I look over at Anya, and she gives me a small smile and nods. My stomach drops though when I realize that I would be the one responsible if something were to ever go wrong between the two species again.

"I would agree to those terms, council member." I tell him, nodding.

"Even if you were to be deemed responsible if something were to go wrong?" He asks, raising a brow.

"Yes. I would except regardless of the possible outcomes that could happen in the future." 

I am doubtful any problems would arise in the future, because I have a feeling both species are tired of fighting against each other, but still, the slight possibility is something that will be a fear in the back of my mind for eternity.

"If you agree to our terms, then we can meet in agreement. You will have to sign the paperwork to the statements we've listed. Within around thirty days after signing the appropriate papers, all slaves will be released. Where do you suggest these slaves go who now have no home?" He asks me.

"They are to get jobs like the rest of the people. Discrimination will be a problem for some, but even a sprinkle of determination and they will find themselves getting back on their feet."

"Very well, then. I don't want vampires to swarm my territory, so I am making the amount in this area limited. The rest will have to find areas outside of this area to seek help from others. I'm anxious for this plan of yours to work, for both your sake and mine." He tells me.

The terms with the council are strict. Vampires, though they will be free, they will have many rules and obligations to follow. It won't be easy for them, but anything is better than the current condition they find themselves in right now.

"If you agree to the terms, you may go through the paperwork and sign your signature where necessary." He says, clicking a fancy pen to life and handing it to me. A pile of papers awaits me, and I flip through them and fine the lines I am meant to sign.

I carefully read the paperwork over, however, and making sure I didn't miss anything. I wanted to make sure that this wasn't all some sort of a cruel joke.