Chapter One: Donovan

Song: Secrets by OneRepublic

*

*

My feet kiss the warm pavement of the road in a feather-light touch. The image of the burning vehicle flickers in my golden eyes and the scent of human permeates the air.

Clothed in my reaper's robe, I wander unseen by the non-spirits. The hood is drawn over my head and I walk towards the carnage with a heavy heart.

I have been a reaper for the last thirty years. I am immortal, so I stopped aging at around twenty-eight. I've collected many souls, but each time, I can't get used to it.

I've seen everything.

I've seen abused children that have finally succumbed to their starvation and countless nights of beatings. I've seen murders in which one time, an older mother and her daughter, who was eight months pregnant, murdered at their doorstep.

I've seen shootings, home break-ins, and innocent, young lives die at the hand of their own mothers. I've seen beheadings, violence, evil and goddess, I don't think I can ever get used to it.

So when my eyes land on the little child, who is collapsed on the pavement, my heart sinks. He had been dragged from the burning vehicle, and now his soul, which looks like him except it has a white glow to it, sits next to his body, crying and screaming.

His hand grasps his body's shoulder and he shakes it. His body is bloody and his neck is pointed at an odd angle.

He's confused and his eyes dart around. I can feel his loneliness, fear, and confusion. Surveying the scene more, I see another woman. She lays on the ground, about a good eight feet from the burning vehicle.

She's screaming and crying as paramedics rush over to her. Blue and red flashing light paints her features, but I can still clearly see the tears dribbling down her face.

I feel her guilt and sorrow.

This crash is her fault, and I grow bitter towards her. She made one mistake, and look what she's caused. It should be her soul I'm collecting tonight, not his.

But life is unfair that way.

With a sigh, I head over to the crying soul, and lay my hand on his shoulder. The soul turns, his wide eyes looking up at me with fear. He cowers back and lands on his bottom. "W-who are you?"

"I'm here to take you to your new home." I reply gently.

"B-But I don't want to go to a new home. I want t-to see my mommy." He cries.

I sink to my knees and withdraw my hood from my face. I know he can't see my face with the hood on, and I know he finds it scary. He looks at my glowing golden eyes in awe.

"I'm afraid you can't do that, little one. One day, I promise you will be seeing her again. But do you remember when your mommy said that your daddy is in heaven?"

I also have the power to see the soul's memories if I please. Searching through the boy's mind, I have found a piece of information to comfort him.

The soul's eyes twinkle and he smiles and nods.

"Well, now you can finally meet him. He has been waiting for you for a long time, and one day, your mommy will come see you, too."

"Really?" He asks with wide eyes.

I nod. "Really."

"Now, come on." I say, standing up and taking his hand in mine, "Are you ready? You're going to feel a blast of cold air for a second but don't worry, when you wake up, you will be in your daddy's arms."