Chapter Three: I Will Find You

Song: Without You by Breaking Benjamin

*

*

My face is twisted in a scowl as Greyson runs after me.

"What's up with you?" He asks.

I don't answer as walk quickly to the Hades Council. The three months of my shift, as well as all the reapers gathered here, are over, which means I'm going home.

I'm going home and I will find my mate.

And every reaper has to meet in the Hades Council where they will be transported back to their homes.

"Nothing, Grey. Drop it." I hiss.

He catches up to me and runs up beside me. "Slow down! Not everyone is as fit and fast as you are." He pants.

I growl lowly in frustration. 

"Woah, you're upset about something. Did something happen in Russia?" He pries, "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

I roll my eyes. "Yes but this....this is something only I can fix." I don't even know my mate's name. I couldn't even touch her nor could I help her. 

He huffs. "You should talk about it. It helps."

Greyson sometimes acts like a parent, which has its pros and cons. But in a way, that's what makes him a great friend. He cares and will listen to me intently and won't abandon me.

I stop walking to talk to him and turn to him. I sigh. "Fine. I found my mate...." I mumble.

His face lights up and he smiles widely. "You found your mate? Donovan, that's amazing. Why aren't you excited about that?"

"Believe me, I am. But there's something wrong. Terribly wrong. When I was in Russia, collecting souls, I found her. Only....she was....she..." I sigh. I don't like the memories that flash through my mind. Her screams still echo in my ears. That helpless feeling still lingers in my soul.

I look Greyson in the eyes. "I heard screams on this dark, cold street and I smelled an amazing scent so I followed and I saw her....my beautiful mate.....she was being raped and beaten."

Greyson lays a hand on my shoulder. "And I couldn't do anything to help her. It's nearly impossible to revert back into physical form as you know, so I just stood there frozen. I could feel her pain and I couldn't take it." I say, looking down at my feet.

Greyson swears under his breath and shakes his head. "Damn...that's just...damn." He struggles to find the right words to say, "You know what? Bring it in, bring it in." He hugs me and pats me on the back. "That's tough. Real tough. I couldn't imagine seeing that and not being able to do anything."

I'm taken back by his hug but I return it awkwardly any way. "Yeah, it is. But I did make a promise that night."

Greyson pulls away from the hug. "And what is that?"

"I promised her I would be back. And I am keeping that promise, because when I find who's responsible for this, there will be hell to pay." If I was in my physical form, my wolf would be pushing through, itching to break free and rip apart anyone who dares to stand in his way. He wouldn't rest until his mate was curled into his thick, black fur, sleeping peacefully.

I liked my wolf's idea. I liked his idea a lot, actually.

"She's a vampire, Greyson. Werewolves everywhere will be outraged." I tell him sadly.

Greyson shakes his head. "You were gifted a vampire as your mate for a reason. Maybe this can change things between your species and the vampires."

I nod. Maybe Greyson is right. Maybe peace can finally come about after decades of turmoil between the two species.