Chapter Nine: My Wolf & Her

Song: Demons by Imagine Dragons

*

*

My family looks at me with wide, curious eyes. My dad has one arm wrapped around my mom's waist tightly and he tenderly kisses her cheek. Mated pairs that are fully bonded will always be in love with each other. Their love is unbreakable no matter happens.

Even death itself cannot separate a bonded pair because soon after one mate dies, the other one follows soon after.

I've always looked up to my parents. They've been through so much together. My dad has told me of the hardships both he and my mom had went through and the trials they have endured upon meeting each other.

I hope to be the same way with my own mate.

"Can you explain to me why you have brought that....that thing into our household?" My dad asks, narrowing his eyes. His voice is eerily calm but in his eyes I see fire.

In my own soul, a storm is brewing. My wolf growls viciously. His mate - our mate, is not a thing and neither one of us like him speaking so low of her.

My wolf knows better than to not challenge the Alpha, even though he is my own father and I am the next Alpha.

Wolves submit to those in higher ranks than them unless a challenge is set in place. It's just the order of things. The law of nature.

When I don't answer, a growl emits from my dad's chest. He takes a step forwards but my mom stops him by laying a hand on his shoulder. "Draven, look at me." She murmurs.

He slowly turns his head, his eyes of fire slowly dying down, flickering until they're only a mere spark. 

I watch as the lamb tames the beast.

Her fingers dance along the skin of his arm until they crawl up to cup the side of his cheek. "Calm now. Listen to our son, Draven. Speak in a way you wish to not provoke. You both are of Alpha blood and things could get real ugly real fast."

And that is true. Alphas tend to have stronger emotions. Especially, emotions like anger is harder to control for Alphas. Two raging Alphas is a recipe for disaster if things don't get under control.

My dad visibly relaxes and so do I. My siblings are dead silent as they look on with anxiousness. Toby, my youngest sibling, has his hands clasped over his eyes as if he just can't watch.

"My mate....as you know, I found her in Russia. But what I didn't tell you is that she's a vampire. I bought her at an auction in Moscow. She's not like the others-"

"And how do you know that?" My dad says, his voice dripping with anger. He hates all vampires for what they've done to my mom, and I understand. As mates, he is supposed to protect her from all forms of evil and at one point, vampires were the number one cause to my mom's mental destruction.

But that was long ago.

And things have changed.

"Dad, have you seen her? She's practically a pile of bones! She's known nothing other than fear all her life, and when I looked in her eyes I saw innocence. I felt innocence. You and mom both know damn well that mates can feel each other's emotions and intentions. What I felt was pure. What I felt was a broken creature with no other intention than to cower in fear from everyone."

"It doesn't matter how she looks. It is what she stands for. And she stands for evil. Destruction. Pain. Her species have rained down hell on this earth and I'd be damned to let that happen again over some silly mate bond!" My dad roars.