Chapter Five: Fear is a Liar

Song: Fear is a Liar by Zach Williams

*

*

She was called nothing.

On her forehead was written useless. In her mind was engraved worthless. Just a breath of air was all she was- and still is.

The darkness suffocates her and pins her down underneath his strong grip. She used to thrash and scream and fight against the power holding her down.

But she's learned to except the darkness.

Because now, she wears the darkness well.

She's cloaked in its velvety shadows and camouflages herself in its dark mist.

Or, that's what she likes to believe, at least. Because in reality, she's actually slowly being drowned in its inky depths. She's slowly but surely losing her life in the shadows in which nobody dares to cross.

Nobody dares to cross because nobody cares.

And perhaps maybe that's why she's drowning.

Because nobody cares.

Nobody cares that she's dying, suffering, starving. Nobody cares for her nor her well being. She tells herself that she doesn't care, either. She doesn't care that she's slowly dying and she certainly doesn't care that nobody else cares for her, either. 

She tells herself that she doesn't need anybody in her life. That she doesn't need anyone to care about her nor does she need anybody to save her.

Because she can simply save herself.

But as time passed, the more broken she became. She found herself dancing on broken glass. Her life had shattered, and now all that was left was sharp, jagged pieces of her life. She desperately tried for the longest time to put them - her pieces - back together again.

But each time she would pick her shattered pieces back up, they would slip out from between her fingers and cut her as they broke into tinier pieces onto the floor.

For nights on end, she would fall to her knees, searching for the pieces that she once called her life. The floor was dusty and the broken glass could easily get lost.

But the more she searched, the more hopeless she became.

Because each time she at least was able to put part of her life back together, somebody would shatter it right before her eyes.

And one cold, bitter night, she collapsed. She collapsed into her sea of broken glass and surrendered to hopelessness as her life bled from her veins.

She became officially broken.

Her tormentors got what they had wanted.

Her eyes became dull and she didn't speak. The only words she knew was 'Master' and 'What can I do for you?'

She's become a favorite slave. Mainly because she silently suffers and rarely lashes out. She obeys without question and cowers in fear when her Master passes by her. Masters love slaves that fear them, and they take delight in her face twisted in submission.

But fear is a liar.

Fear's breath tickles the broken being's ears while she cowers back deeper into her wire cage. She shivers in the cold when fear harasses her once more. She can feel his cold breath against her ear and she can feel his slender fingers grasping at her heart.

His presence causes her to tremble and shake, and she hides her eyes in the crook of her arm when she curls up into a tight ball.

But too bad you can't hide from some monsters.