Chapter Twelve: They're Here

Song: Warriors by Imagine Dragons

*

*

Anya did not stay curled up on the opposite side of the bed as me for long.

When I woke up, she was curled against me, sleeping soundly. Her hair was tickling my bare chest and her knees were pulled up to her chest in fetal position. Her hands were curled into balls and her breathing was even.

And not ragged and shallow.

Her auburn hair has grown in length and thickness these last few months. Proper nutrition has grown her hair into wavy locks that flow gently down her back. Her vampire healing has kicked in, and though it is slower than it should be, it's still faster than a human's.

Her hair is softer now and I comb my fingers through it, marveling at the texture and the warmth touching her gives me. I twirl it around my fingers lazily, still awakening from my sleepy state of mind.

Anya stirs a little bit in her sleep, but soon turns over. She buries her face into my side and sighs in her sleep. She's beautiful, and I wish I looked that nice when I was asleep.

Goddess knows I look like a slobbery doggy disaster in my sleep. My poor mate is going to have to get used to my mangy sleeping appearance. Luckily her looks bless my eyes when she's both sleeping and awake.

Too bad I can't return the favor.

Her eyes eventually flutter open into half slits. Her lips lightly smack together and she stretches and yawns. She still looks hazy from sleep and her hand reaches out to seek my own. She holds onto it and hums in satisfaction before her eyes widen in realization.

She feels my hand a few seconds more before looking into my face directly. A shocked look registers onto her face and her hand falls limply beside me.

Then she, in the blink of an eye, rolls herself so quick to the other side of the bed she practically flies. "I-I'm so sorry! I had no idea-"

"Anya."

"Yes?"

"Stop apologizing."

"B-but I disturbed you and-"

"You did not disturb me. I was enjoying your company, actually." I tell her.

"Y-you were enjoying my company...." She repeats, sounding unsure.

"Yes, I was. Your my mate, I will always enjoy your presence."

Her shoulders slumps down and she hangs her head. Her hands fidget in her lap and I can tell that whatever it is she's about to say is making her uncomfortable. "W-well I have a confession to make."

"Oh?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"I might have....enjoyed your company too." She whispers, rushing the rest of her sentence off quickly.

I crack a smile and pat the spot next to me. "Well, then what are you waiting for? Are you scooting your butt back over here or not?"

She looks down, a small smile spreading across her face before making her way back to my side. Her eyes travel up to my bare chest and I act like I haven't just caught her checking me out. My wolf is happy our mate finds the both of us attractive.

My wolf wants another session with her. He thinks he can do a better job keeping her warm with his fluffy tail full of thick fur.

Back off, barbie, she's content in my arms right now. I'm sure she doesn't want your fur getting shoved up her nose while she's trying to sleep. I tell my wolf.