Chapter Fifteen: Our Capture

Song: Watch Your Back by Sam Tinnesz

*

*

My jaw practically hit the floor when I heard Brinley give away our location. Was she against us all along? Had she betrayed us?

I heard the heavy scuffle of boots. They stopped right above us and little bits of dirt fell through the cracks in the flooring. I catch glimpses of the werewolves looking for us. He was looking under the table.

But he growled.

"Little girl, I don't have time for your jokes and games!"

The sound of a slap fills the air followed by a grunt of pain meets my ears.

"Ohh, do you get joy out of beating up little girls, Mr. Monster?" Brinley snaps back at him.

"Only bitchy ones." 

"Well, bitches are dogs. Dogs bark. Bark is on trees, and trees are a part of nature. Nature is beautiful, so therefore I am beautiful. Thank you for the compliment!" Brinley sasses back.

The werewolf only growls. "You're fucking useless. I do smell their scent here, if you're hiding them-"

"Who the hell is them?  You damn mammoth men bust down my door at an ungodly hour in the morning expecting me to know who exactly them is. Them good be anything! Did you poor doggies bury your bone and forgot where you-"

Another slap.

"Damn. That one actually hurt a little bit. But you know, for a guy as burly as you, you're slacking. I should have flown across the room if you were actually strong. I mean, I've seen mosquito bites bigger than those biceps!" Brinley proudly exclaims.

She is crazy and she's going to get herself killed.

I fear for Brinley's life at this moment. She's doing this to protect us.

The werewolf growls so loudly it feels like the ground shakes. Brinley shuts up.

Or, at least I think she does, until she opens her mouth again.

"Woah! Did you hire a voice coach to teach you how to use your throat like that? That was gnarly."

A thud shakes the floor and I know he just threw her to the ground. Anya hugs me tighter and I run my hand through her hair in an attempt to calm her.

"Listen here, little girl. I've about had it with your attitude. Tell me everything you know about the illegal pair of fugitives running about."

"I just got here, for your information. I got here yesterday. But I did, however, see two beings - a male and female - in the woods just West from here. I saw them near Deer Creek." Brinley says, lying through her teeth.

"What did they look like?" He asks her.

"The male had black hair. He was really tall and built and the female was small and her hair was like....what's that term for dark red?"

"Ginger?" The werewolf asks.

"No, not that, uhm what's the color called hmmm..."

"Redhead?" He guesses again.

"Nope."

"Rojo?"

"Okay big doggy now you're speaking Spanish! I think it starts with an 'A.''

"I DON'T GIVE A DAMN AT THE SPECIFIC COLOR! WHERE ARE THEY?" He shouts at her.

"I JUST TOLD YOU! THEY'RE WEST FROM HERE IN DEER CREEK! I CAN YELL TOO!"