Chapter Eighteen: Left to Die

Song: Home by Daughtry

*

*

I awoke to the sound of my own screams. Liquid fire felt like it had been poured into my bloodstream and I writhed around in practically a large dog crate.

Light shone from the small, barred side windows and scolded my eyes. The crate was moving, and voices - much too loud for my own hearing - pounded outside.

The feeling I was experiencing was a familiar one, unfortunately. I knew exactly what they had injected into my body and for that, I was furious. They were force shifting me, and the process was an agonizing one.

My wolf was forcefully making his way out of me. The substance is harmful to the wolf, and in an attempt to escape the agonizing temperatures, the wolf forcefully comes to the surface. It's very painful for both human and wolf, and even now, I can hear his whimpers echo in my head.

I know, buddy. It hurts. Just hang on, okay? I tell him.

Bones feel like they shatter in my body. I can feel them sliding around and my body uncontrollably jerks. I slam against the side of the crate, and it goes tumbling.

"Hold it steady, boys!" A voice shouts. I groan, my ears ringing as they roughly kick the crate around before setting it back atop the cart. I howl in pain when my canines painfully shoots through the gums of my mouth.

The taste of blood is bitter on my tongue and fur shoots out of my skin. I try to breath deeply in an attempt to control the pain a little bit more. A hot sweat has soaked my body as I struggled to shift.

My skin feels like it peels back completely, making way for the thicker undercoat of my fur to begin growing. My muscles bend and shift beneath my furry skin and my jaw breaks painfully. The sound is loud in my ears and those around me peak inside and mock my pathetic form.

I growl in irritation, conjuring up ways I could slowly torture and kill them all.

My shift was almost complete, now, and I looked more wolf than human. The last thing to go was my eyes. They rolled back in my head and was replaced by the pair of wolf eyes my beast possessed.

I panted like a dog, my wolf tongue flopping out of my mouth. After shocks of pain still seemed to zap my body and exhaustion took over.

After what seemed like hours of fiery torment, I rested.

* * *

My ears twitched to the sound of birds chirping. They sounded faint and distant at first, but then became louder and louder like ringing bells as I became closer to consciousness.

My eyes slowly blinked open and it took a moment for my vision to come back into full focus. The vast autumn forest clothed in red and orange hues was layed out in front of me. With a wolfish grown, I arose on all four paws.

Things spun briefly and I teetered on my paws for a moment before I managed to catch my bearings. I shook my fur off and my eyes roamed the forests. There was no scent of my capture left behind, they had covered their tracks to endure I can't follow them.

The forest sings the song of the wind and robins bounce around on the ground, pulling worms from the earth. I am completely alone.

A growl leaves my lips.  I don't know where I am, I don't know how far away from home I am. When a werewolf is damned a rogue by their government, the wolf is sedated and is taken anywhere from thousands of miles away from their home or even several different states away from their original home.

If I don't find a way home as soon as possible, there is no hope for me ever returning. The thought of losing my mind and then my own self to my wolf scares both my wolf and I.