Chapter Twenty Six: Plans Unfolding

The mansion was carved from the side of the cliff. It looked to be made of granite and other types of rocks, and it was beautiful. Moss grew alongside it, camouflaging it well. 

I could tell by Anya's facial expressions that she too, was impressed.

"By golly, why are you making your faces look that? You both look like you've seen the light of day for the first time." Richard chuckles.

"It's just that....I wasn't expecting it to look like this." I say in amazement.

"What did you expect, then? A sparkling building with a billboard over it saying, 'hey council, rebels can be found here.'"

I roll my eyes. I can already tell that this grandpa and I are going to get along just fine.

"How many...rebels are there here?" Anya asks.

Scottie shrugs. "Three hundred, at least. That number keeps increasing monthly, however."

That's promising.

They lead us up through the brush and trees until finally, we arrive at the magnificent building shrouded in moss and vines. It looks seemingly deserted from the outside, but on the inside, tells a whole different story.

It's teeming with life, the voices of those inside are low and hushed, not wanting to draw attention to themselves. Lamps are latched onto the walls, where the gentle flame of a candle sways, lighting up the darkness.

Some of the people are sitting or standing in groups, chatting amongst each other and sitting on little mats. I notice there are several rooms where bunk beds are stacked atop each other where some kids are playing.

"Welcome to our humble abode." Richard says as he bows.

"It's beautiful here." Anya says. People glance at us, some of them giving us warm smiles where as others seem distrusting and standoffish.

This is where my work will begin. It will begin with hundreds of men, women, and children seeking the freedom they deserve.

But the question is:

Where do I even start?

Richard gives me a knowing look before he picks up a large metal spoon as well as a pot. He clangs the pot with the spoon, collecting everyone's attention. "Settle down now, settle down now, folks. Thank you, thank you." He calls out.

Anya becomes a little nervous when all attention is drawn to us. It's almost like I can feel the people's mixed feelings about it, and it's a bit uncomfortable.

"Some of you all may have questions about who these two strangers behind me are. They are not your average new members to our hideout. No, no, they are something much more than that. They want to lead in the uprising, isn't that right?" Richard says, chuckling and punching me lightly in the arm.

To my surprise, everyone starts laughing. I look around, confused. I certainly wasn't expecting this to be their reaction. Anya looks confused, her expression mirroring my own. "What's going on?" She asks me.

I turn my attention to Richard, who's grinning from ear to ear. "What's so funny? Why are they laughing?" My tone sounds frustrated.

"You're not the first people to walk in here and demand a change. Right now, they see you as some sort of a phony who promises one thing yet walks away. You'll come and go, just like the rest of em." He replies, shrugging.

"No, we won't. We won't because-"

"Tell them that, then. Don't tell me, tell them." He says, pointing to the mass of women, children, and men.